Do you think these are perennial?

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, ALSeptember 21, 2012

This Begonia was ALL over this country club where I went to a wedding this past weekend near Warner Robins, GA, Z8. Mostly in huge concrete planters and spaces bordered by brick patios and walkways, so micro-climate could be a factor. There was also a large pond nearby. Looks kind of like really big wax Begonias with less rounded, more oblong leaves. Two to 3 feet tall, huge patches of canes with just a few leaves and tons of flowers at the tops. If they aren't perennialized there, someone planted thousands of these everywhere throughout the grounds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

More context.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 5:08PM

Here they are, at the ends, towering over smaller Begonias I'm assuming were wax type.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 5:10PM
hcmcdole(z7)

Looks like Dragon Wings. Very good begonia for full sun as long as they are kept watered. These look a little stressed though or not fed during the growing season.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 8:38PM
hcmcdole(z7)

Looks like Dragon Wings. Very good begonia for full sun as long as they are kept watered. These look a little stressed though or not fed during the growing season.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 8:40PM
mark4321_gw

How cold was it there last winter?

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 11:41PM

Where are my manners? Thanks for the replies!

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 7:59AM
eahamel(9a)

Yes, these are perennial begonias. You might keep them in a pot and bring indoors if you get a hard freeze. Dragon Wing is a cross between a bedding begonia and a cane. The canes will usually survive winter here in zone 9, though they may die to the ground, they'll come back in the spring.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 10:36PM

Thanks for the reply and info. I wonder where the cut-off is for these? Going by the term "dragon wing" I found several sources listing Z10 as their edge of hardiness, so not surprising they're coming back for you. Thinking they must have been planted this year where I saw them, at the northern edge of Z8. With that much brick though...

When I was at that wedding, I bent down to inspect a patch of these Begonias more closely, testing a cane for flexibility, and it snapped and slipped into a cup of water I was holding. It was the weirdest thing! I felt so bad for it, I brought it home.

Hcmdcole, forgot to ask, what is the pretty plant behind your Begonia?

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 9:10AM
hcmcdole(z7)

The pretty bush behind the pot of Dragon Wings is Breynia disticha (Hawaiian Snow Bush)

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 6:19PM

Thanks! This is the 2nd time I've asked somebody about this plant from seeing their pics. Hope I see one for sale soon! Apparently I really like it.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 8:59AM
gree_knees(6a)

purpleinopp, begonias are listed as usually perenniel in the Hortus Third. I've learned the hard way that most aren't cold hardy.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 2:16PM

Yes, that's what I was asking, where the line is usually drawn for the pictured plant, if people thought these were planted from scratch this spring or if they've been overwintering there. "If they aren't perennialized there, someone planted thousands of these everywhere throughout the grounds."

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 2:48PM
hcmcdole(z7)

It is possible they overwintered if it doesn't get too cold or stay cold for long periods of time. Dragon Wings are probably best treated as annuals though since you can get a six pack for $5 or so each spring.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
Winter Feeding of Rex Begonias
I am losing a couple of my Rex Begonias and wonder...
neuf
ID please
I'm assuming this is a begonia, and here in zone 5...
drich30099
To re-pot Rexes or not?
As you can tell from the picture, I have three Rexes...
neuf
started rhizome cutting...leaves shriveled
hello,i have a b.northern lights that has been sliding...
woollady
Where to buy escargot begonia
Does anyone know where I can buy escargot begonia for...
organic_suzie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™