Pygmy Palm Help

eenerNovember 4, 2007

I am new to Arizona and am having many challenges with my plants. First the frost last winter was hard on everything and then while we were gone this summer, most everything got too little water. I have been watering a lot for the past six weeks, but my palms continue to have brown dying leaves - I thought they would have shown some recovery by now. How much water do they need? I did trim off some of the leaves that were totally brown, but I don't think too many. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neilaz(9a)

Pygmy palms are slow to recovery. They may not look good for 6-12 months. You can't over water these guys when it is warm. I water mine every three days in the summer. I have two that I put in my pond and they do great. I do remove them in the winter as I am not sure they like it that wet when it cools off. I may leave one in this year to find out.

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 10:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bubba33(Phoenix, Az)

Make sure you are giving them palm food. Also when we had last winters freeze, I gave my palms Superthrive from spring all through summer. They now look fantastic.

Bookmark   December 10, 2007 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
Tucson Xeriscape has a weird disease
Late last summer, many of the plants in my xeriscaped...
jukesgrrl
Where is everyone?
Did you all hit the road because of the changes? I...
ernie85017
Do you like your synthetic lawn?
This is sort of a spin-off from my thread on how to...
juju222
Time to take off frost protection?
I was tentatively planning to remove the frost cloth...
drmeow3
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™