Bermuda Grass and Sheet mulching

Sophia.ONovember 21, 2012

Hello all,

I am new here and new to gardening, I have been a serial houseplant killer up until (hopefully) now.

I have what I believe is bermuda grass patches in my backyard, which is hard packed clay dirt (like most of AZ). I want to sheet mulch, but have been told not to do it until I get rid of the bermuda grass. My whole point in wanting to sheet mulch is to bypass the hard work of digging, tilling, etc. Do I really have to get rid of it? Any advice on what else I can be doing? I planned on doing raised beds and not even bothering to ammend my soil, but I'm finding I want to try now because I ordered fruit trees that will be going in the ground in January, so I would like to be able to plant on my ground around them as well.

Thanks to you all this is such a great forum!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Most of us are resigned to dealing with Bermuda for the rest of our lives. This recent thread explains a lot. However, the short answer - if you don't want to deal with it forever - is to get rid of every smidgen of it you can find and destroy. And - whatever you do - don't water it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bermuda discussion

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 9:10PM
lazy_gardens

If you put sheet mulch over the bermuda, it will begin to thrive and spread.

If you till the Bermuda, it will spread.

You need to kill it before you plant things, or battle it forever. And it's a bit late in the season to be killing it. Spend next spring and early summer killing it off and make your gardening plans. Then next fall you can plant lots of stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to kill Bermuda Grass

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 11:11AM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

Thanks Lazy! I'll start your recommended regimen next spring/summer. I'm down to just a very few isolated spots.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 11:54AM
More Discussions
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
placement of Gasteraloe
I scored yesterday on a 1.5 gallon gasteraloe at HD....
temperene
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™