Tree ID help wanted

xica_da_silvaNovember 12, 2010

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone might id this beautiful tree that I'm pretty sure I've never seen here in AZ before (or maybe I have and this one is just exceptionally well located). Sorry, I don't have a camera (maybe for Christmas) right now but I'll try to describe as best I can:

- huge, tall tree(maybe 3 stories high!) with green bark, thick canopy, star-shaped pink flowers that have 5 petals and are about the size of a small adult hand. They are blooming currently.

- if you want to see a gorgeous one, there's one at Banner Desert Hospital campus right in front of the 2145 building (off of US60 and Dobson)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
piranhafem

Wild guess: could it be a plumeria??

--Maureen

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 8:42PM
lazy_gardens

huge, tall tree(maybe 3 stories high!) with green bark, thick canopy, star-shaped pink flowers that have 5 petals and are about the size of a small adult hand. They are blooming currently.

spiky trunk? Silk Floss tree, Chorisia speciosa,

http://www.cuyamaca.edu/oh170/Plant_Thumbnails_3/Chorisia-speciosa-El-Cajon-.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Chorisia

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 7:25PM
xica_da_silva

Aha! That's it lazygardens...THANKS! Those flowers are unforgettable! It's too bad my yard is so small; it's a gorgeous tree...maybe even worth the large amount of litter it probably produces! Hmm...I think I may have spotted a large mature one at Baker's nursery (not for sale), too, come to think of it.

Thanks, too, piranhafem, for the attempt...the plumerias are really pretty as well. :)

Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
Can/Should this Hong Kong Orchid tree be saved?
My 1 1/2 year old Hong Kong Orchid was hit by the frost...
goldie11
Time to take off frost protection?
I was tentatively planning to remove the frost cloth...
drmeow3
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™