Darn tree roots getting in to my lawn mower

johnnazNovember 7, 2007

Newibie here so please be nice to me Problem we have some tree roots (ficus) that are not growing down but up and out and are above ground what would be wrong with just cutting the ones above ground and adding topsoil and reseeding. I like the trees so really dont want to kill them but also want a nice lawn that wont hurt my mower.. Any ideas will be taken like hummingbirds to sugar water Thanks JohnNaz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aztreelvr

Trees planted in lawn areas often develop surface roots because of the shallow watering that the lawns are given. Some trees are more prone to this than others and Ficus is notorious for having surface roots. This is one reason why planting trees in lawn areas are often discouraged - they have distinctly different watering needs. Trees need water to soak down to a depth of three feet while grass only needs moisture to a depth of 6 - 8 inches.

If you cut roots you run the risk of severing important arteries that are supplying water and nutrients to your tree. If you try to bring in fill dirt you will be suffocating the roots of your tree. A term in the tree care industry is "fill kills" because roots deprived of oxygen will eventually die. Root death will affect the health of your tree.

You could try to increase the height of you mower blades so they will not hit the roots.

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
'Desert Museum' and 'Sonoran Emerald' Palo Verdes
The last thread on these two trees was about a year...
dlg421
Where is everyone?
Did you all hit the road because of the changes? I...
ernie85017
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
Dog Eating Hibiscus
Can anyone offer suggestions to keep our 9 month old...
azfran
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™