Overwintering Begonia Bulbs

mary_or(8)September 18, 2007

I live in Portland, OR, Zone 8, and have begonias planted in a hanging container. Would the bulbs survive if I left them in the container, quit watering, and stored them in the garage? Or do I have to remove the bulbs from the soil? How do I then store the bulbs? Do I need to wash them?

Thanks for your advice.

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Hi Mary, this is how I store my Begonia tubers for the winter. This is the time of year the tubers are increasing in size and storing energy for next year. I move my baskets under cover anytime now but they are still outside. The last couple of years I have been removing all the flowers and pinching the growing tips. I also give them a little potash.
When the plant starts to turn yellow it's time to dig the tubers and clean them up. Wash or brush all the soil off the tubers, remove any trace of the old stems, be sure to check the tubers for weevil damage. When the tubers are thoroughly dry store them in peat or shavings until next February when it's time to start them into growth again. Others will probably have different ways of preparing their tubers for winter storage, this is the way I do mine.

A......

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 10:21PM
mary_or(8)

Thank you for the reply. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I will be doing just that and hopefully the bulbs will return next year.

Mary

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 10:30PM
Tinkerbel(7b/8a B.C)

Mine are in the ground and still blooming, should I start pinching the flowers off and wait for them to yellow before digging them up?

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 5:24PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

If they were mine I would pinch all the flowers off and remove the growing tips, I would also water a little potash fertilizer in around them. Dig after the first frost, or dig leaving soil around the tubers, put in a flat somewhere under cover (out of the rain) to die down. This is the time of year the tubers increase in size, so every little bit helps. Others might do it differently, this is what I do with mine.

A......

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 7:46PM
More Discussions
Angel-wing Begonia drops leaves
My angel-wing begonia is huge and has flowered many...
safron4
Is Blackmore & Langdon begonia tuber worth it ?
Any one try Blackmore & Langdon tuber? Are they...
mymanga
Blackmore & Langdon Begonia bulbs The Worst
I purchased 10 bulbs from early this spring directly...
spacehunter
Begonias in Miracle Gro Orchis mix?
So I was bored today and decided to replace 2 of my...
Nick Robinson
baby Rex begonias limp after transplanting
I was getting excited that my leaf babies had managed...
fieldofflowers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™