Should I separate these?

Crenda SWFL 10AJanuary 6, 2014

These are pups that came up this past spring/summer. The 2 mother plants are gone, but "stumps" remain. I did not move the plants - this is where they came up.

Are they too crowded? You can see, I do have room to separate them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Crenda SWFL 10A

This is a view from the top. There are 4 plants on the outside of this cluster and 1 squeezed in the middle.

I have no ID what the name of the plant is, but they are common in SW Florida. Do they prefer to have a little more room to spread?

Thanks in advance!

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 2:24PM
cmventura

I wouldn't. Looks really pretty.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 5:05PM
BrunildaFl(9)

Looks like Red Tip bromeliads. I like the look of the cluster but I usually separate them when the cluster gets too tight. The pups will produce new pups of their own in a year or so.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 7:29PM
Crenda SWFL 10A

Thank you both for your input. I like the look right now, but admit I was looking ahead at more crowding with pups in the future. I can deal with that when the time comes.

The plants I see in big box stores are in pots and seem to be wider than these. A friend gave me the first 2 plants, so I wasn't sure if these were too close together.

I have found that the black snakes like to lay around these plants. We surprise each other often. And I have found some big snails in them. I swear they look like escargot! The shells are about the size of a 50 cent piece. Maybe that's what the snakes are after - dinner!

Thanks again!

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 10:30PM
hotdiggetydam

Our bromeliads create their own little eco-system. I find frogs, lizards and other beautiful creatures in and around mine.

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 9:54AM
zzackey(8b GA)

My friend had them around a pine tree like a big circle. She never separated them. I call them Lipstick plants.

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 4:23PM
splinter1804

It's a matter of personal taste; some growers prefer single plants while others prefer the clumping effect.... the choice is yours.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 8:45PM
Crenda SWFL 10A

Thanks for all the feedback! I've decided to leave them alone. They are doing well as is and I can spread them out after the next blooming and pupping if decide that is what I'd like.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
Is this a bromeliad???
I got this from my aunt, who wasn't sure what it is....
embolton0620
Hey Nev!
What's going on with the other forum????
gonzer_gw
hotdiggetydam
photo #2 of id - exserta hybrid?
Here is the photo of the bloom spike. my apologies...
Brian311
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™