Phoe's Cleo - brought it in

westy1941(Boulder County, CO)October 13, 2009

We had a freeze in Chicagoland this weekend so my husband brought in the two HUGE rex Phoe's Cleo (one is about two feet across in a big glazed pot and the other a little smaller) and I didn't get a chance to spray them in case there are bugs or something in the dirt. Last year we overwintered and I found spiders in them! Anyone have any advice or suggestions about how to 'clean' them up for their living room life this winter? What can I spray them with? Or is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks in advance,

Westy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

Well, spiders are better than mealybugs, snakes, and slugs. You can spray with Neem oil or insecticidal soap to get rid of most pests. If you have anoles you might want to give the leaves a vigorous shake to see if any jump out and scurry away. I always seem to carry a few in each year nestled in my begonias and other houseplants. They eventually starve to death due to lack of insects.

Another thing to try is Bayer's Complete Insect control. It kills on contact and is also a 3 month systemic. I've sprayed all my begonias twice this year with it and saw no problems. Spray outdoors though.

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 7:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
westy1941(Boulder County, CO)

thanks for the info, hcmcdole. Zone 7 has snakes in Begonias?! YUK. I do have the Bayer's Complete stuff leftover from summer use - I'll take them outside early next week when we are supposed to get the reprieve from the coldest October in 130 years: a high in the 60's!!
Thanks again.
Westy

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 12:52AM
More Discussions
ID please
I'm assuming this is a begonia, and here in zone 5...
drich30099
Cool photo editing for rex type begonias
Just ran across something I did a few years back and...
hcmcdole
Anyone Know Anything About 'Phoes Chloe' ?
I've had it for at least 8 years - it died back during...
westy1941
Care instruction for a Dragon Wing Begonia
Hi I just bought a Dragon Wing Begonia at the grocery...
tkhooper
need help to ID plants... newbie to begonias
hi from the philippines! i chanced upon this collection...
rica_ph
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™