Can you overwinter wax begonias?

carrie630(z7bNC)October 24, 2008

Below 32 degrees, my wax begonias shrivel up and die.

I am thinking of potting them up and trying to overwinter them in my garage.

Has anyone done this. I also have a loft (unheated) with a sunny window - I may try that.

They are not expensive to buy in the stores, but I want to experiment, but not waste my time if they are hard to do

Thanks so much for any replies

Carrie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

Yes, you can overwinter wax begonias if you want to. Provide bright light and a semi-warm area and they should do just fine. A cooler, darker place may be okay too but they won't thrive.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 3:55PM
carrie630(z7bNC)

Thank you - I will give it a try just for fun!

Carrie

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 4:31PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

More years ago than I care to admit, this was my first type of begonia. I don't know if it was the climate or just a different attitude back then in the dark ages, but they were considered houseplants, not bedding, and no one thought of them as annuals as so many do now. Just months after I was married--cliche alert, June bride--I had cut the leggy branches of the semp someone gave me and stuck the branches in a pot of soil, and they grew! Everyone who didn't run when they saw me coming got a pot of begonia for Christmas. And I was hooked on begonias for life!

Bookmark   October 27, 2008 at 11:59PM
diane_oh(OH)

Absolutely! My husband bought a wax begonia for me 36 years ago; it is still growing in my house, and I have given many "babies" away. In 1978, we had an ice storm (20 below zero, iced in because the roads were so bad), and we had just moved into an old farmhouse with no woodstove hooked up yet. When our electricity went out for a few days, every one of my houseplants (cactus and all) froze to death, except for this wax begonia. They are just incredibly easy to grow inside and out.

D.

Bookmark   January 25, 2009 at 4:50PM
flowerfloozy

What a nice story Diane! It must be love that keeps it going.

Bookmark   January 25, 2009 at 9:21PM
indyrose(z5 Indianapolis)

My mom gave me a pot of wax begonias that had been hit by frost a couple of times. They looked horrible, just leafless stems. I stuck them in a corner of my greenhouse and watered them, and they came back nice and full! They are out there blooming right now! :-)

Indyrose

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 9:46AM
jerome69(6)

can you cut them back when bringing them into the house or greenhouse? how about taking cuttings?

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 6:31AM
hcmcdole(z7)

Yes you can cut them back fairly hard. If you cut them to the ground then that may be too hard - I would leave a bit of stem and a few leaves. Cuttings are easy too - this is a good way to make a bunch of them. They are very susceptible to mildew in cool damp spots like my basement. I spray mine with Neem oil and cut any leggy tops back hard but only after they show signs of new growth from the roots.

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 12:30PM
michael1846(6)

Is there a way to get them to stop flowering and make all there energy into leaves also have u guys seen all the agonists this year in public

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:38AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Absolutely! Just recently, I posted in the Florida Gardening Forum about how to fill a 10" pot for around $2 with inexpensive landscape/bedding begonias, which are just wax begonias (Begonia semperflorens). See link below.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Idea: Inexpensive Blooming Begonias

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Cool photo editing for rex type begonias
Just ran across something I did a few years back and...
hcmcdole
Would love an ID on this begonia
I'm attaching 3 photos- hopefully First one is of...
lorabell NC
Anyone have b.grandis bulbils for swap or SASE?
I would very much like to try these if anyone has a...
rredbbeard
Winter Feeding of Rex Begonias
I am losing a couple of my Rex Begonias and wonder...
neuf
Blackmore & Langdon Begonia bulbs The Worst
I purchased 10 bulbs from early this spring directly...
spacehunter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™