City canker?

ccarrollNovember 4, 2013

I was previously told that the tree in my front yard wasn't doing well, but I happened to meet a gardener who actually knows something about plants. He said that there is a fungus being carried in the air all over town, called a "city canker," that can attack everything but is especially a problem with citrus trees. Is anyone else finding this? (Although, of course you may need to have a gardener smart enough to know about it.) Are you doing anything about it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aztreelvr

Hi Ccarroll,

I believe what the gardener was referring to is Sooty Canker, a fungal pathogen that affects stressed plants and usually invades the host at sites of pruning, sunburn, freeze damage, etc. The fungal spores can be transmitted from plant to plant on tools or can be airborne.

This disease is not new. Healthy plants are rarely affected. Take care to maintain optimum plant health by watering properly, not overpruning, avoiding freeze damage (if possible) and disinfecting tools.

Your tree (citrus?) may or may not have Sooty Canker. To be sure I've included a link to the U of A Extension Plant Pathology web site. You can also take samples or send photos to the U of A Cooperative Extension office in Phoenix.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diseases of Citrus in Arizona

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 11:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccarroll

Thanks! I'm sure I mis-heard the gardener, since we use the wrod "city" more than "sooty." And thank you for the link!

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
Can/Should this Hong Kong Orchid tree be saved?
My 1 1/2 year old Hong Kong Orchid was hit by the frost...
goldie11
February 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden?
I hope Grant doesn't mind me beating him to posting...
kevininphx
'Desert Museum' and 'Sonoran Emerald' Palo Verdes
The last thread on these two trees was about a year...
dlg421
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™