small tuberous begonias from seed--allow dormancy?

Elizabeth WhiteOctober 22, 2013

Hi folks!

I usually start tuberous begonias from seed, but this year all of my seedlings were exceptionally small. (I still don't know what happened, but that's another story!) Anyway, I have 8-10 tiny baby tuberous begonias that have just started blooming. I doubt they have much of a tuber yet, so I'm thinking about trying to keep them growing. Has anyone done that? One of them is the most gorgeous pale yellow, and I'd really like to keep it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woebegonia

I am wondering where you live that you still l have blooming tuberhybrida. If your lighting system is good you can carry them/it over there but you will need the lights on more than 12 hours, they need long days to resist going dormant, and thet tuber, if any is produced, will be small. I thihk the commercial growers leave seedlings in their big growing fields for 2 or three years or more, not disturbing growth = I think that is how they have such large ones for sake,

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 9:58AM
Elizabeth White

Ah hah! Day length controls dormancy. That makes sense. I do have a fluorescent light set-up in my basement.

We just started having frosts this week--which is pretty late for us. Usually the first frost is the first week of October.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 10:30AM
petrushka

so when do you bring your begonias in? at what temps?
we're getting 40F at nite now, my non-stops are still blooming outside without any sun at all. i read that they will continue to bloom until frost. but i actually want to bring them indoors to see if they'll continue to grow and may be even overwinter.
i don't want the foliage to decline. can they stand mid to hi 30s?

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 10:02PM
chloeasha

Woebegonia-- mine are still blooming too :) They live in total shade. I think they must be getting maybe 11 hours of light total-- as in sunrise to sunset-- even though none of it is actual direct sunlight. :)

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 11:42PM
woebegonia

I don't know how they stand the mid-thirties. I start letting mine dry out about Labor Day.Some growing instructions used to say 'lay the pot on its side', I could never figure that out, thought it might be some form of tropism. . .However I finally ran across some instructions which said 'lay the pot on its side so the fall rains can't get in and start regrowth', Oh that was so funny, I never would have figured that out because we don't have much fall rain. Well, we all have different environments which is why figuring out how to do things can be frustrating.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
Angel-wing Begonia drops leaves
My angel-wing begonia is huge and has flowered many...
safron4
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
Newly bought a Rex Begnoia -
This appears to have smaller leaves. I had these before,...
jujujojo_gw
Would love an ID on this begonia
I'm attaching 3 photos- hopefully First one is of...
lorabell NC
Is Blackmore & Langdon begonia tuber worth it ?
Any one try Blackmore & Langdon tuber? Are they...
mymanga
Sponsored Products
Thumbprintz Nautical Nonsense Blue/ White Starfish Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Black 10-Piece Cookware Set
$159.99 | zulily
Slend Multi-Light Suspension by Bover
$2,959.00 | Lumens
CS086 LED Channel System
EnvironmentalLights.com
Karli Bronze Halogen Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and Amber Cloud Glass
$225.00 | Bellacor
Capri Abalone Chandelier
FRONTGATE
Designers Fountain 1257S-AL Decorative Flushmount Small Flushmount - 1257S-ORB-A
$19.00 | Hayneedle
Sun Black 66 to 120 Inch Double Curtain Rod
$77.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™