Red-Cap Gum Trees

benesesso(9)November 4, 2012

Anyone have some tips on these? The flowers look great in the books, and it's supposed to be a full sun, low water tree.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xill

i've looked into them myself, but I don't have one. at least not yet. But they seem to be fast growing, extremely drought tolerant once established, and they don't get as massive as their cousins. i believe they top out at 20-25ft. the hard part is finding them for sale. closest i've seen is seeds on ebay shipped from australia

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 2:37PM
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

There is a nursery in Tonopah, Australian Outback Plantation LLC. Unfortunately, you just missed them at the DBG sale - they'll be there again in March, I'm pretty sure. They've been there for years.

I've put a link to the Red Cap that they have on their site below (you will need to scroll down a bit....).

I actually have one (or two?) of these plants. I've only lived at this house since April, so my experience is pretty limited, and I would say the previous owner really pruned the bejeazus out of the trees here, so mine is not a really good example. But it did bloom this summer, although I came pretty close to missing it, once again, probably because of the hack job that was done on it. It does form pretty neat seed pods, as well as the buds that look like red caps.

I have deep watered mine once since I got here. Looks good, but it is a fairly mature, well established tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Australian Outback Plantation LLC

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 6:41PM
aztreelvr

Most of the eucalyptus are well adapted here, including this one (Eucalyptus erthrocorys). You should be able to find it at local nurseries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red cap gum

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 2:25PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Very pretty, but aren't those puffy yellow blooms a hay fever nightmare?

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 9:04PM
benesesso(9)

Good question. I'm fortunate, no hay fever problems. Wife has allergies, but says no hay fever.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 6:01PM
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

Didn't bother me.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Time to take off frost protection?
I was tentatively planning to remove the frost cloth...
drmeow3
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
Do you like your synthetic lawn?
This is sort of a spin-off from my thread on how to...
juju222
Best place to buy trees?
I need a new queen palm and would like a palo blanco....
cms9323
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™