So happy!

holantinaOctober 13, 2009

This post isn't about amaryllis, i know, but i wanted to share why i'm so glad with you. I got my first orchid to bloom at home :-). I'm so happy! . I love orchids, but for some reason i was not having a lot of success in taking proper care for them. I mean, they did not certainly die or something, but they wouldn't want to bloom. I bought this one last winter and followed a friend's advice: to put it outside in the summer. It worked! Begin spetember i discovered two flowers spikes, yippie!

But (there is always a but) it wasn't the cultivar I had ordered, though. I thought i had purchased Oncidium Sharry Baby Sweet Fragance, but this is something else. Could be an oncidium, but it could be a miltonia.

So guys, does anybody know how i must call this mistery orchid?

You see, not only amaryllis lovers get mixed up orders :-)

The orchid:

A bit closer:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodik_gw

Congratulations! I love orchids, too... and I keep a small collection of them, along with all my bulbs.

I'm no expert, but I believe I've seen that orchid before... it's an intergeneric, a Degarmoara, I think, with Miltoniopsis, Brassia and/or Odontoglosum in its background... but I can't recall the exact name.

I think if you post that photo in the Orchid Forum, someone can help you to identify it by name.

My own collection consists of a few Phals, Epis, Dens, and Catts. My only Oncidium looks to be on its way out... although, it does have a tiny new green growth starting. If I can keep it alive long enough for the tiny growth to gain some size, it might flourish.

Growing orchids indoors in the north is a difficult task, unless you have the environment for them. I don't. I do have artificial lighting, but not enough humidity.

Whatever its name, it's very beautiful! Thank you for sharing... and I hope you find out its name. Even if it's not exactly what you ordered, it's lovely! I'd consider it a keeper!

I'm including a link to a very interesting blog about orchids... I learned quite a bit reading it, and the photos are very drool-worthy! Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Richard's Orchid Blog

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 11:49AM
anna_in_quebec(z4 QC)

Lee Valley has just announced a special on an orchid book:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=64290&cat=2,46154,47445 Only $5.00!

Here is a link that might be useful: Complete Guide to Orchids

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 1:34PM
jodik_gw

I saw that you got your orchid identified over at the Orchid Forum... Winter Wonderland! I wasn't sure if that was the exact name... some of the photos I found showed a solid white flower. I knew they could help, though!

I'm very glad... now you can tag it properly, and you know exactly what to call it! What a beauty!

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 11:57AM
holantina

Yes, you both were right, here and at the orchid forum! very smart of you, wow! It is indeed a Degarmoara Winter Wonderland and i'm still very happy with it :-).
I think the flowers are of a soft and tender elegance. It is like having serenity in a flower.
Definitely a keeper. With a correct tag now :-D

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 4:02PM
holantina

Jodik,
Now i am even more sure it is Dergamoara Winter Wonderland. The flowers have turned whiter and they are scented! So everything matches the description i found online ONCE i had the right name. Many thanks! I'm even happier with my orchid, if that's possible.

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 7:44AM
jodik_gw

Happy to help! I'm glad you found the right name!

Sometimes, getting the wrong plant can turn out ok... you certainly got a lovely orchid, even though they sent you the wrong one... I love nicely scented flowers!

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 8:48AM
holantina

You betja! I'm secretly happy they got messed up there at the online orchid shop, hehehehe....

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
Brecks 'Hardy Amaryllis Collection'
Please tell me if there is, in fact a Amaryllis that...
carmen_grower_2007
Friday night....star and group photos
Well, we aren't the only one who likes H. Night Star...group...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Heir-loomed Amaryllis Seeds & Offsets
My grandmother has an Amaryllis that's a speckled salmon...
amaryllisgirl123 (zone 7 NJ USA)
My uni-colours
The second to follow
brigarif Khan
And one more Cybister...
F2 from "Chico" x H.papilio on a particularly...
haweha
Sponsored Products
Maxim Swizzle 19" Wide Polished Chrome Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Gervin Leather Ottoman - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture
Thyme Burlap Table Lamp Shade
Cost Plus World Market
Trademark Home Collection Sunlight Desk Lamp 26 inches
Overstock.com
Splat Wall or Ceiling Wet Location 8" Wide Light Fixture
Euro Style Lighting