nelumbifolia have brown edges

masonleona(9b)October 22, 2005

Most of my nelumbifolia have brown edges and ratty looking leaves. I don't see holes like snails or worms are eating them. They get lots of water with irrigation and I have sprayed for fungus with no result. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

When would be best time to move these very large plants if I decide the location is wrong--partial sun/partial shade now.

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eye_love_begonias(9a)

Mine is doing the same thing. I assumed it was the boron (mineral) in my well water. But my other thought was lack of humidity. Do you have boron in your water (or are you on municipal water)?

Bookmark   October 23, 2005 at 11:54AM
hcmcdole(z7)

Are these old or new leaves? Mine has brown edges on the older leaves but the new ones look fine. Of course I have to grow mine in a pot so we have different growing conditions.

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 11:09AM
eye_love_begonias(9a)

Mine is just the same, new leaves look great, old ones have brown edges. I also think that the warm wind we have here is doing the damage. Mine is also in a pot.

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 4:15PM
masonleona(9b)

just got back from trip and thank you all for your postings!

These are large plants in the ground with irrigation-- good water. I saw what I thought were these same begonias in landscapes in Palm Beach and they looked great--no brown leaf edges just big green dinner plate leaves and nice bloom spikes. I chose them for my beds because they looked so good in the ground in those settings. Don't know what is wrong here but maybe its too much sun. I checked with the grower before buying and they are supposed to tolerate sun pretty well.

Anyway, they have been a pretty expensive disappointment since I planted a bunch--10 plants. Maybe I'll just move them to full shade.

Any other ideas? And thanks again.

Bookmark   November 6, 2005 at 7:51PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I think you'll be happier with them in the shade, all right. Mine may get a very little sun in the early morning, but it usually in bright shade, and looks quite amazingly good having been through Rita. Some of mine lost almost all their leaves, tho' more are coming without any problem. Hurricane resistance is a quality I hadn't thought about before, but it's been interesting--and I suppose something we may need to think about in the future.

Bookmark   November 10, 2005 at 1:52AM
More Discussions
Begonias in Miracle Gro Orchis mix?
So I was bored today and decided to replace 2 of my...
Nick Robinson
Breaking dormancy
All my B. grandis tubers are showing their 'eyes' as...
woebegonia
Anyone have b.grandis bulbils for swap or SASE?
I would very much like to try these if anyone has a...
rredbbeard
So i can stick a leaf with stem into soil to root? correct?
I failed at trying to root leaf cutting in october. I...
tlbean2004
My Special Angel
I posted this in the house plants forum but thought...
Jessie Tyler
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™