A bittersweet begonia story

softfurnOctober 24, 2004

Every year my good friend and I compare notes on when we are starting our tuberous begonias, and how we dry and store them. We each do it differently. Her tubers are about 8 years old, and they are between 4 -6" in diameter. This year they grew to about 4' tall. These plants were mamouth size. My friend has only 6 months to live and has given me her begonias since she will not make it another season to see them flourish.I have many plants in my garden that have been given to me which bring up memories....the oregano I got as a new house gift for my first garden. A house guest stuck a sedum in when I wasn't looking, and I discovered it a year later. Plants I've gotten as cuttings and pass alongs from friends.... but none will be as special as these begonias when they rebloom every summer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Begoniac(z10 FL)

I'm very sorry that you're losing your friend, but the plants will be a lovely reminder of your friendship. Please take some pictures of the blooms next summer, if you can, and post them here. We would love to see them.

Elizabeth

Bookmark   October 25, 2004 at 12:13AM
Margaret_MacD(z6: SW Mass)

I, too, am sorry for your impending loss, and hope to see photos next summer.

I still support some spider plants that I adopted 28 years ago when their caretaker, a woman whose office was down the hall from mine at university, suddenly was diagnosed with and died of acute leukaemia. Although I didn't know her well, I think of her often as I care for the plants.

Bookmark   October 25, 2004 at 2:26PM
twrosz

Softfurn, indeed plants are wonderful reminders of our dear loved ones. I have several plants from my sister's garden in which I shall always cherish. Most particular is a lovely sport of a rose that Janet had discovered in her garden ... I've thus named it in her honor. My sister was only 39 when she passed due to cancer. Thank you for sharing your story ... I entend my sympthies to you.

Terry

Bookmark   October 28, 2004 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Is Blackmore & Langdon begonia tuber worth it ?
Any one try Blackmore & Langdon tuber? Are they...
mymanga
Cool photo editing for rex type begonias
Just ran across something I did a few years back and...
hcmcdole
Care instruction for a Dragon Wing Begonia
Hi I just bought a Dragon Wing Begonia at the grocery...
tkhooper
Begonias in Miracle Gro Orchis mix?
So I was bored today and decided to replace 2 of my...
Nick Robinson
Would love an ID on this begonia
I'm attaching 3 photos- hopefully First one is of...
lorabell NC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™