New to Rex Begonias with questions

BenkoOctober 21, 2012

I'm about a year new to houseplants and had some good luck with a few easy growing plants. I couldn't resist buying the one you see in the attached pic at whole foods. I live in 9th floor apt with large east facing windows.

Questions:

1. I've read that Rexs like humidity but not being directly misted. Do they need extra humidity even in the fall/winter? Does placing the pot on some pebbles which are in water really do anything?

2. I've read that Rexs like strong indirect light. Is direct light 4' away from east facing window close enough?

3. Anything else I should know? Oh and if anyone knows the name of this particular kind of Rex, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your time!.

Scott

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

Most plants like some humidity but rexes should do fine with normal air. If you burn wood then you may want to add some moisture (more for your own comfort than the plant's).

Good light helps but not all that necessary either. My daughter's rex survived and thrived in a dim area of her dining area for a couple of years. (Go figure) Let the plant tell you what it likes and doesn't. I keep most of mine under shop lights in the basement but have also had them on a baker's rack in the kitchen right next to a south facing window. If I feel like it is too hot then I turn the blinds up to deflect some of the sun but I don't think it hurts the plants either.

Do be aware that rexes often go into a semi-dormancy in winter so don't worry if they drop all their leaves - DO NOT keep the soil wet if this happens. Don't let it dry out completely either (they don't go into full dormancy like a bulb).

Rexes also are susceptible to mildew in cooler temps. Spray the leaves with some kind of anti-fungal treatment if you see small spots appear. Mildew shouldn't kill the plant but can make it very unsightly.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 8:07PM
marybright(7)

They're very adaptable. I've got most of my rhizomatous ones in a south window since last month; I was worried that was too much sun and was prepared to use a sheer curtain but no need; everybody's putting out new growth. I've also got one poor soul at work under dim light and he's hanging on, not growing much, but hanging on just fine.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 2:55PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

What a beautiful plant, hope it does well!

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 10:10AM
lraley

I have Rex's for trade if anyone is interested.

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 6:32PM
More Discussions
need help to ID plants... newbie to begonias
hi from the philippines! i chanced upon this collection...
rica_ph
Where to buy escargot begonia
Does anyone know where I can buy escargot begonia for...
organic_suzie
Begonias in Miracle Gro Orchis mix?
So I was bored today and decided to replace 2 of my...
Nick Robinson
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
Begonia started from seed BUT no tuber grown???
I started a couple of tuber Begonias from seed this...
started_with_bean
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™