Begonia Rex needs advice

greenbrier_growerOctober 14, 2009

My begonia rex/ cane begonia/ angle wing begonia is from multiple cuttings over the years that have survived. The plant (possible original) is from at least 1916. Survived in the Greenbrier mountains in WVA, over the various years outdoor, then in zone 5 with limited summer time outdoors.

How can I help her?

I have sucessfully grown her over the past 30 years in pots as well with multiple rootings in water. I gave plants to other people. (they always kill her at least once until they figure out what she likes!)

Now my green thumb has gone "brown" after all this time, babies from the original plant.

I don't want to loose "Bertha".

The only way she survives now is only with water rooting. When I plant her in potting soil she dies. I save her by topping the green and go back to rooting into water.

What does anyone suggest? I don't want to loose "Bertha". She was part of my grandmother's family, my mom, and now mine for 50+ years since I saw her as a child.

Any suggestions to help her grow will help.

Otherwise, she seems to only exist in water. Tap water to boot!

Is she adapting to being hydroponic?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

Are you planting it in a heavy soil? Too big of a pot? At least you still have it as a water plant but it is strange that you lose it when you pot it up.

I would suggest you pot it in a quality, loose mix and a pot size to match the size of the plant. For best results, I would place it in a terrarium until it shows new growth and then start weaning it from that environment. Give it plenty of light to get it to grow. Go easy on the fertilizer until it gets some size.

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 5:28PM
More Discussions
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
Anyone Know Anything About 'Phoes Chloe' ?
I've had it for at least 8 years - it died back during...
westy1941
Breaking dormancy
All my B. grandis tubers are showing their 'eyes' as...
woebegonia
Winter Feeding of Rex Begonias
I am losing a couple of my Rex Begonias and wonder...
neuf
Anyone have b.grandis bulbils for swap or SASE?
I would very much like to try these if anyone has a...
rredbbeard
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™