Neoregelia 'Fireball'

tropicalzone7(7b)January 21, 2010

Hi.

Im pretty much new to bromeliads, other than my pineapple plants and large amount of tillisandias, including spanish moss. But I dont have too much of an idea about Neoregelia 'Fireball', which a plant I recently bought. I know the requirements (humidity, water in the center, lots of good air circulation, and to avoid hot dry sun), but Im not sure about what type of soil to plant it in.

I have a regular hanging basket and regular soil, does a Neoregelia 'Fireball' handle regular soil or should I mount it on something? If I need to mount it, what do you think is the best object to mount it on for a natural look, and how well do the roots anchor into an object. Do they have to live in those special bromeliad hanging baskets instead of my regular hanging basket.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vriesea

Hi Tropic ,if you use a mix thats recommended for Cymbidium Orchids you wont go wrong ,any hanging basket type will do ,its a tough plant needs very good light,regular soil is not recommended ,other than that its a trouble free plant, cheers ,Jack

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 6:59PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Thanks a lot for your help! Ill go looking for some orchid soil.

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 8:22PM
cadillactaste

Hm-mmm so this does need soil. :/ was hoping it didn't.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 7:42AM
greentoe357

I bought my first Neoregelia, and as part of research of new plants I always check the PATSP blob (always funny, well and lively written and very useful and descriptive). Neo "Fireball" happened to be profiled there: http://plantsarethestrangestpeople.blogspot.com/2008/10/dorothy-gale-neoregelia-fireball.html.

Enjoy ye, whoever stumbles upon this.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 10:33PM
sunshine_qld

If you want it really red, it needs morning sun until about 10am. I grow mine in trees so they will grow without soil.

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 4:39AM
splinter1804

Hi everyone - It's been a while, but I still drop in from time to time. G'Day Jack haven't seen you here for a while either.

I have found Neo. Fireball to be a most accommodating plant which when given the right conditions will quickly grow into a nice specimen. It will grow in a pot, is suitable for basket culture and is also equally comfortable mounted on an old Tree Fern stump or on a living tree.

I saw the one in the pic at a brom show recently and personally I wouldn't have used a pot that large, but as you can see, it didn't seem to worry the plant which is growing well and seems to be pretty forgiving in whatever container it's in as long as it's well drained. Also notice the bit of trellis at the rear which the plant is also growing up.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Aech ampla
Does anybody out there grow Aech ampla? Do you have...
avane_gw
how to keep bromelaid til i get home
Hello, a friend gave me bromelaid out of her garden...
drich30099
they came in
My three tillys came in! I am giving them a short soak...
michael1846
id help- tillandsia exserta hybrid?
I traded a friend of mine for this.Its original tag...
Brian311
colour change + floppy plants
hi all, i was shocked to find that 2 of my plants had...
drmedusae
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™