overwinter angel wing begonia

florrie2November 21, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

I have a lovely angel wing begonia that I got from cuttings several years ago. I put the pot on my deck and it blooms all summer, but when I bring it inside (now), it dies back. The first time it happened, I though it was a goner, but behold! In the spring the pot started showing green shoots! Imagine my surprise.

It does this every year. Now I have several that have been seeded from the original, and they ALL do it!

I have great winter light, orchids, bromeliads, African violets bloom constantly, but this begonia just dies back to the ground.

Advice, please, should it do this?

Thanks, Florrie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

A picture would help ID it so we could give better feedback.

From the sound of your description, it sounds like the hardy begonia (B. grandis). If this is the case, then it will always go dormant, returning in the spring from bulbils and possibly seed. A true cane begonia (sometimes called an angel wing begonia) will never go completely dormant or die to the ground. It may drop all its leaves but with the right amount of light and water it should leaf out easily and perhaps bloom indoors.

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 1:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
florrie2

Gosh! I thought it was angel wing - that's what the grower said it was. I'd like to send a picture, but there's nothing to photograph now [grin].

I did have some hardy begonias that seeded themselves into my yard, but the deer would get at them. Maybe they've replaced the "angelwing"

Thanks for your help!

Florrie

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
ID please
I'm assuming this is a begonia, and here in zone 5...
drich30099
Is Blackmore & Langdon begonia tuber worth it ?
Any one try Blackmore & Langdon tuber? Are they...
mymanga
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
Newly bought a Rex Begnoia -
This appears to have smaller leaves. I had these before,...
jujujojo_gw
baby Rex begonias limp after transplanting
I was getting excited that my leaf babies had managed...
fieldofflowers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™