How Crazy Am I??

anna_in_quebec(z4 QC)October 19, 2010

I have a basement full of bulbs that summered outside whose leaves are slowly fading. Another small army upstairs whose leaves are still great. No room to spare. So what do I do? Purchase 4 bulbs from Royal Colors in late August, and yesterday, added another 4 to my shipment, as I realized the shipping date was nearing, and I just couldn't resist.

Royal Colors order:

Flamenco Queen

Brazza

Aphrodite

Summertime

Rozzeta

Monte Carlo

Amorice

Temptation

Firecracker from Garden Import

and 6 more "standards" from my local co-op (I have a reputation there!):

Red Lion

Apple Blossom

Vera

Charisma

Mambo

Prelude

On top of it all, various "refugees" from the garden are taking up the entire dining-room table, prompting the question "shall we be eating on tea-trays?"

Oh - and now I am thinking I need a white one, so perhaps I'll go back to Garden Import for an Intokaze, but pricey at $21. Hmmm.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Anna,
Your CHAD has relapsed!! Sounds like you have a really bad case this year!
:-)
Kristi

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 11:41AM
dondeldux

Anna, Just about as crazy of most of the rest of us....your house sound just like mine, plants coming in.... resting... not loosing their leaves fast enough.... seed trays everywhere...but only ordered 4 this year so far...(but that's not counting 26 Marguires.)..but my dining room table us reserved for all my computer stuff, cameras etc...it's the living room floor that catches it...fun for us, but not for those who have to live with us....huh..(cat doesn't mind)

Donna

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 12:02PM
anna_in_quebec(z4 QC)

Thanks guys - I feel a bit better. And yes, I just broke down and ordered Intokazi, which is an African bulb, a symphony type - (sonatini being the smallest).

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 1:25PM
joshy46013

I've ordered 15 so far :( I can't seem to help it, I just keep buying them! There are so many more I'm waiting to become available too... Oh no!

Josh

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 1:46PM

JOSHY HAS CHAD.......!!! Hybrids Josh?? We have CONVERTED YOU!!!
HALLELUJAH!!
:-) hehehehe
K

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 2:55PM
dondeldux

Has somebody changed their tune of what!! Congratulations Josh, you're well on your way to becoming an addict of the best kind.....!!! HaHaaa

Donna

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 3:10PM
Noni Morrison

How delightful, Joshy! Hee hee! But these are the best treatment for long dark winters that I know. Always something to look forward too, something to celebrate, some thing to remember. And something to share, even if it is just a photo.

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 4:28PM
Noni Morrison

Anna, mine are stating to roll in now, have both Van Engelen and Colorblends to unpack and plant this afternoon.And a nice order in with Royal Colors. These new ones will fill the slack until my older ones rebloom in their own time, so always an excuse for new ones :-)

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 4:33PM
joshy46013

Oh, believe me, I'm more than converted :) I'm starting to work on ideas for hybridizing my species, if ANYONE has any suggestions please e-mail, I'm open for anything, I'd like a few others to help me with this project if anyone is interested with growing the seed, I don't know if I'll have enough room myself!

Sorry for the tangent :)

Josh

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 5:15PM
beachplant(9b)

on my shopping list for Friday is more pots, the coop order should be arriving soon. I just got all the bulbs that leaped into my cart at Home Depot and Lowe's planted. Maguires bulbs are sending up leaves like crazy, looks like a couple more are going to bloom. Abdul just finished and was gorgeous!
I've stayed away from the internet, so far....
Tally HO!

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 11:52AM
joshy46013

Guess who went to Lowe's today!?!?!? They had a huge variety, Susan and Oskar came home with me today :) Great prices too, 3.98 ?? Woah! I love the way Oskar looks on the box!

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 12:23PM
dondeldux

Josh, just be prepared for mislabeled bulbs...not the end of the world though...I got an Oskar too and since I've never even heard of that one before and the bulbs were so huge, is's propably correct, but Susan is another matter....Last year many of us were getting Susan for lots of others...so maybe you'll get Susan for Susan? Anyway, it's all part of the box store experience. Lowe's had such a selection, I'm still thinking about them. If your Lowe's had a Pasadena, I'd get that one too, and if you like doubles, Lady Jane and Aphrodite are gorgeous...glad to see you're having fun!!

Donna

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 1:44PM
joshy46013

Donna,

I did see the Lady Jane and Pasadena, I was thinking about picking them up but they were 10 bucks and I had loaded my cart with Perlite and Orchid Bark (yes, they finally got it in) so I was trying to keep the bill down.

My Oskar bulb was huge, I got the biggest one they had, those little boxes were a bit difficult to put back together tho!

My Hippeastrum reginae is putting up a scape, I noticed it this morning :) It's going to be a room full of Hippie blooms very soon!

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 2:02PM
e36yellowm3(7 Raleigh, NC)

Josh, hmmm - you're Oskar was 3.98 at Lowes? Mine was marked 5.98 - maybe they're on sale now? I'll have to go back and look... I can't miss a sale!

Tally, the Yahoo bulbs will probably get to us next week. I'm not sure I'm ready for the work... I think I overbought a tad this year (again).

Alana

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 11:06PM
joshy46013

Alana,

They were in very small boxes, no pot, no soil no nothing, just a bulb :) They were marked 3.98 on the box, try to find those little ones!

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 11:17PM

Ah ok, thanks Josh - I'll have to go look for those. The one I bought was a bigger box with a non-drainage plastic pot that will not get used. I'd rather have just the bulb for sure. Alana

Bookmark   October 21, 2010 at 9:30AM
dondeldux

Alana, I bought the one like Josh in those tiny boxes for 3.98 mine was so big the top of the box wouldn't close....first time I've seen those tiny boxes.....

Donna

Bookmark   October 21, 2010 at 4:53PM

Donna, thanks - I'm going to look tomorrow for the tiny boxes. I guess they're in a separate display from the big boxes? (Although that's probably what I don't need is more bulbs but gosh, 3.98 - who can resist?!!) Alana

Bookmark   October 21, 2010 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
I'm beginning to figure out the code to ordering the bulbs I want
Ok, I'm starting to figure out the code to ordering...
jstropic
Nititii P.
id for orange amaryllis
I am looking for the botanical name for this orange...
linda_leaf z10fla
Planting Papilio in the ground
I live about 20 miles north of New Orleans in zone...
John Lusk
Did anyone get an H004?
The buds on mine are exposed and the color is looking...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™