Do Begonia types have bloom seasons?

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)November 8, 2012

Do they go by temps, or day length? Or are most types mostly everblooming? I'm curious about rhizomatous in particular, are they all similar in their flowering?. Mine are outside for summer, will bring inside for winter, given to me by a neighbor this spring.

Just repotted, the stick is holding part of it until it gets "set" in the new position.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

Rhizos usually bloom early spring. Canes can bloom all summer on and off. Waxes bloom all the time given the right conditions (hence the name semperflorens). Rexes usually bloom in fall but can bloom on and off through summer too.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 2:04PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Excellent, thanks!!

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 7:21AM
SusieQsie_Fla

Hey Purple!

What's the name of that begonia? It's a rhizo - right? _ and not a rex?

Thanks
Susie

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 6:36PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Hey Susie! It has a rhizome, that's all I can tell you. My neighbor gave it to me. She's probably had it for decades, if that helps you narrow it down.

I separated one giant thing that was all tangled like a pretzel into many pieces, this is one of 2 pots. Most of the pieces seem to be doing great while a few sections are just shriveling. The other pot looks much better and has been in a shallow pot like this for a few months. Hopefully that will help the pieces in this pot, moving to a much shallower pot. The regular, deeper pot they were in was staying too wet at the bottom even though the soil was extremely fast-draining.

I hope at least one of the sections makes a flower sometime. Always exciting even if it is a tiny one.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
My Special Angel
I posted this in the house plants forum but thought...
Jessie Tyler
To re-pot Rexes or not?
As you can tell from the picture, I have three Rexes...
neuf
Would love an ID on this begonia
I'm attaching 3 photos- hopefully First one is of...
lorabell NC
Breaking dormancy
All my B. grandis tubers are showing their 'eyes' as...
woebegonia
Winter Feeding of Rex Begonias
I am losing a couple of my Rex Begonias and wonder...
neuf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™