growing strategy

dirtevNovember 26, 2012

Hello, I am new here! I have inherited a very large amount of plants from a friend. My experience is with outside canadian gardening. From what I can tell so far it is the opposite of what you do to take care of a begonia.......
Here are two pictures of one of the plants I need help with:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47971826@N05/8222033298/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47971826@N05/8222033646/in/photostream/

How often do you need to potup a size?
Does it need regular feeding?
trimming?
I am worried it it keeps growing at this rate it will not fit in my window / it will fall over...

Thank you so much..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Your pics:

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 10:13AM
hcmcdole(z7)

General rule is to only pot up as the plant fills the pot it is in. If you want a big plant then I find a big pot is best but I'd do it when you can move it outdoors. Come fall you would probably want to "pot down".

Regular feeding is recommended but a lot of potting soil has slow release already added to the mix and is good for many months.

Trim as you see fit. Grown in a big pot with the best light, regular feeding, warm temps and your begonia can reach 4 feet or more. Or you can start it over once a year and keep it on the short side. Kept in a small pot will constrain the roots and growth (bonsai in a way).

Cut the tops out and start them in a new pot or add to the pot it is in. The stumps will send up new shoots and if not cut to the ground they will grow new shoots at the growing nodes. The stems in between can be used to start new plants as well and they can be placed horizontally in a tray with some soil or vertically (make sure the bottom cut is the one that goes in the soil though).

Your begonia looks like Lucerna - an oldie but goodie. Very easy plant to grow and keep for a long, long time. The only problem I've seen is mildew in the fall/winter in a basement.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 7:12PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Hcmc, I thought it looked like Lucerna/Lucerne also. With more light, the leaves can develop a nice reddish tint if that's what it is.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
My Special Angel
I posted this in the house plants forum but thought...
Jessie Tyler
Angel-wing Begonia drops leaves
My angel-wing begonia is huge and has flowered many...
safron4
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
Small Red Rex
I have this remnant of a plant I bought at Lowes...it...
suyoder
shima nishiki peony field
The video is from 2009, taken in Luoyang, China. Enjoy...
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™