Crude Homemade Soil Moisture Test

benesesso(9)December 6, 2012

Thought I'd play around and see if I could get any meaningful measurements of soil conductivity/moisture content with a home-built contraption.

Knowing that resistance readings and direct current conduction doesn't seem to work well from my internet info, I decided to use conduction and AC instead.

Started with a couple of new welding electrodes. Not that is probably makes much difference, I grabbed a couple of 1/8" 6010 covered electrodes, and removed the coating from the end where you strike the arc. Only removed ~3/8" from each tip.

The other end is already bare for ~1", where it attaches to a welding electrode holder. The length of the bare end that goes into the soil is probably important.

I started with a 24 volt transformer, which actually put out ~26.5 volts--AC. I spaced the electrodes as far apart as I could in a typical 5 gal container, 8". This distance is very important, and I wanted to keep the far apart to get a better overall conduction measurement than the typical very closely spaced "box store" meters.

I used a fairly high quality AC ammeter that cost ~$50. First test on the container, which had not been watered for 2 days, had such low readings that I knew were way below what the ammeter could accurately measure--~.12 amps.

So, a removed the 24V transformer and wired the electrodes directly to a 125V line. Now I got much better readings, 0.75 amps. Next I added 1/2 gal. water(which quickly disappeared into the black potting soil, and the amps increased to 1.14. That's ~142 watts of power and will heat the soil, so I didn't leave the power on for long.

Next I have to try and figure out how the amps readings correlate to soil moisture.

I'm letting it sit for a while and I'll take another reading, then add another 1/2 gal. water. Will report back, assuming I don't manage to electrocute myself.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
benesesso(9)

Just took another reading. Amps up to 1.22. Input voltage is 123 volts. I'll wait until the amps level off before adding more water. I suspect the soil is pretty wet, and was at the start of the test.

The tips of the electrodes are ~6" below the surface, and the electrode coating is fairly non-conducting. I think I'll make another pair of electrodes and coat the covering with epoxy paint for better insulation.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 4:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
benesesso(9)

Added another 1/2 gal water, amps dropped to ~1.0. I could understand if water was coming out of the bottom drain holes, but it isn't.

Then I filled another 5 gal. plant pot with some bone-dry dirt. Pushed in the same electrodes, zero amps. Added 1/4 gal. water, got ~0.25 amps. Waited a while, no change. Added another 1/4 gal, got 0.50 amps.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
Pioneersands just lost a customer. (Bulk soil/manure/mulch)
I've been buying bulk soil(sandy loam), manure, and...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
AZ Garden Search
Anyone know how I can just search the AZ forum?
luna09
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™