Garden soil delivery to Gilbert

newtoucanDecember 1, 2012

I need a recommendation on someone or company who will deliver a good rich garden soil to me. Need about 2 yards. There are some advertised on Craigslist but not sure if they are good.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

Sometimes I use Pioneer and usually get their sandy loam. Sometimes one-half with their compost mix. Sometimes Singh Farms at the 101 and Thomas. I prefer the 'fine' grade of whatever I get from Singh so I don't have to sift it myself. Edited to add that Singh Farms does not deliver, you would need a pickup truck to get the soil.

There's many other options, this is a good start though.

This post was edited by marymcp on Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 7:47

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 9:19PM
trevorspop

Ive tried the sandy loam mix from Pioneer landscaping too for my raised garden bed and have been pleased with it so far.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 12:46AM
newtoucan

Any others?

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 8:24AM
thisisme(az9b)

I have used sandy loam mix from Pioneer in my raised beds with excellent results. A few members have been to my place and dug in my beds or pulled a few weeds or plants or trees. Everyone who has, has commented on how nice my soul is. There prices are good too. Delivery of small loads really brings the price up though. In my case I had seven cubic yards delivered which qualified me for free delivery. The cost of delivery is equal to a couple yards of soil. I needed the full seven yards for my raised beds. If I had only needed five. I think I would have ordered the seven for the free delivery and just stored the rest next to the compost pile.

Here is a link that might be useful: My backyard

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 1:23PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

LOL, thisisme! "A few members have been to my place and dug in my beds or pulled a few weeds or plants or trees. Everyone who has, has commented on how nice my soul is." I'm willing to bet, based on your wonderful garden, that you do have a very nice "soul"!

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 8:21PM
thisisme(az9b)

LOL!!! Thank you tomatofreak. I do spell check but I guess I forgot to proof read. I see the new edit feature is available. So I could go back and edit it but it's just to funny to edit. I hope everyone who reads it gets as good a laugh out of it as you and I did. lol

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:46AM
klynn24(z9AZ)

Toucan, did you order sandy loam from Pioneer? If so, what is your opinion? I ordered sandy loam from Pioneer years ago and it was too fine (didn't detect mulch or manure)thus hard to wet down. I'm searching for a soil mix for my roses either to replace my native soil or a mix to amend the native soil. Does anyone grow roses and if so, what have you tried in the way of a bulk mix? Has anyone tried Western Organics? Thanks for any suggestions!

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 6:25PM
newtoucan

Already tried sandy loam before. It's not so bad. You could try mixing manure in that you can get for free from many places. Someone recommended the b2 product from Gardeners World. I'm going to check that out. Actually I only really need 2 or 3 yards. That's why I didn't want to use Pioneer because the delivery fee alone is the equivalent of a couple yards. Plus someone once told me there was someone around Gilbert and they showed me the stuff in their garden and it looked really good. It was very dark and nice. Unfortunately I can't find that persons contact info anymore.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 9:06PM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

When I pick up from Pioneer I like to mix a half yard of compost with a half yard of sandy loam mix. Works really well for me. We have an old 'farm truck' - '78 Ford 100 - and it's perfect for for this. Singh Farms bags their stuff in large burlap bags in addition to front loader scoops. Once home, this stuff is then dug in and mixed with the native soil and I've not experienced an inability for the soil to receive water. Disclaimer: I don't grow roses, this is all for the veggie garden.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Rubber plant
I would like to transplant my rubber plant from a pot...
jnine
Which plants they are?
Anyone can help me identify these 3 plants? I have...
lenering
Has anyone got rid of Bermuda Grass without chemicals
Has anyone got rid of Bermuda Grass without chemicals....
newtoucan
Ever grow melons in containers?
Ok, so my eyes were a lot bigger than my gardening...
captaininsano
Sponsored Products
Gnomes by Kartell
$350.00 | Lumens
Mini Vegetable Garden Marker - Asparagus
Signature Hardware
Strolling Garden Coffee and Brown Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
Bellacor
Fantom Outdoor Misting Fan
$829.00 | FRONTGATE
White Fish Wind Chime
$69.99 | Dot & Bo