powdery mildew question

hibiscusjoeDecember 9, 2009

I live in Ohio and have a small east exposure garden window. I have a few cane begonias. a couple of them have developed powdery mildew. what do I use to spray them with to keep it under control this winter. any help/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woebegonia

This time of year it is n ot a good idea to have the plants too close to the window, as a good drop in night temperatures seems to cause mildew with my plants. I do not think there is anything that will cure mildew; over the years I have tried water-milk solution, cinnamon, sulfur, Wilt Pruf, Funginex, Chamomile tea, copper dust, baking soda/water solution, and hair spray as an anti-transperant. Some of these may work for a day or two, but I think nothing will help if y ou continue to grow the plant or plants in the same place and the mildew will repeat, especially if the temperature drops quite a bit at night.

Bookmark   December 24, 2009 at 9:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregsytch(z9b Tampa Bay)

Powdery mildew is a problem due to the following reasons: Lack of air circulation, issue with cleanliness and old leaves. Increase circulation in the area. Remove all debris and older leaves. These leaves harbor the spores. Spray with any fungicide labeled for mildew, but follow up every 7 days until control has been seen. Mildew forms when temps are between 50F and 75F and humidity is higher (such as condensation from a nearby window). Do not be afraid to crack a window on a chilly day. I grow my begonias outdoors here in Tampa Bay, and we regularly hit 32-35F each winter, sometimes below, albeit briefly. Best and stay warm! Greg Sytch, New Port Richey FL (also ABS Horticultural Correspondent)

Bookmark   December 30, 2009 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
Anyone have b.grandis bulbils for swap or SASE?
I would very much like to try these if anyone has a...
rredbbeard
shima nishiki peony field
The video is from 2009, taken in Luoyang, China. Enjoy...
jujujojo_gw
Getting tubers from youngb plants?
I do well growing tuberous begonia from seed ,but never...
RT_12589
Begonia started from seed BUT no tuber grown???
I started a couple of tuber Begonias from seed this...
started_with_bean
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
Sponsored Products
Anello Pendant/Flushmount by Eurofase
$328.00 | Lumens
Peugeot Paris u'Select Pepper Mill - 9"H
$47.00 | FRONTGATE
Peugeot Paris u'Select Salt Mill
$47.00 | FRONTGATE
'Luau' Blue Sand Dollar Print Indoor/ Outdoor Rug (3' x 5')
Overstock.com
Handmade Luau Brown Coral Indoor/ Outdoor Rug (3' x 5')
Overstock.com
Metro Chandelier by Quoizel
$419.99 | Lumens
Calypso Pendant by Tech-Tiella Lighting
$96.00 | Lumens
Seaside Platters - Set of 2
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™