New hippi's received! Several questions....

rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)October 22, 2009

I just got my order from Scheeper's--one bulb each of Picotee, Lemon/Lime, and Dancing Queen. Yay! I want to get these on a 'normal' bloom cycle as quickly as I can, so here's my question: shoud I keep them growing through the coming summer ('10), or can I safely force them to go dormant after 2-3 months of growth, to resume growth in May 2010?

I usually try to get seeds from my plants, so that will be a limiting factor. Should I try instead to delay their initial growth for a couple of months, if possible?

As I mentioned in another earlier post, I have good success putting my overpotted hippi's outdoors all summer. I also tend to give them a mild fungicide/pesticide while they are dormant, which really helps.

Does anyone know if Dancing Queen is a mule?

Thanks!

--Rr in CT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodik_gw

As I'm sure you know, the bulbs are already primed to bloom. I would pot them up, let them do their thing, and then begin treating them normally, allowing them to rest and grow as they see fit. They will resume a natural schedule as they get used to the seasons and changing light.

That's how I grow mine, anyway... I treat them like I would a regular houseplant, and with proper care, they bloom every spring.

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
id for orange amaryllis
I am looking for the botanical name for this orange...
linda_leaf z10fla
care of bulb after blooms die back
what should I do with bulb afer all flowers die back...
luv4buds
test
just trying to figure out if i am signed in
snowdogmama
Ordering bulbs in Canada
Does anyone know some good companies to order bulbs...
erin_juniper
Basil Plate Propagation
Hi, My friend- Nongnuch Nakmanoch did basil plate propagation...
Nititii P.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™