Please help me decide on a pine tree variety

greendesertDecember 1, 2010

Before I bought this house there was a huge Aleppo pine tree in front of it, but the people who owned it before decided to dig for a pond near its root zone. By the time we purchassed the house, the tree was dead. I would like to replace it with another pine tree, but I can't make up my mind on what kind.

I pretty much had my heart set on another aleppo pine, but I saw that they also sell Italian Stone pine trees at Home depot and they look pretty nice with a slight silvery color. Although I don't know where I'd find one to buy, I also saw the Afghan pine on the list of trees for here.

What are the pros and cons of each? I know that the allepo pine will put up with the heat in the summer. Can the italian stone pine do just as good? How fast does each one grow?

I guess the stone pine is also tempting because of the pine nuts. I don't think the aleppo pine has edible ones. Basically I want a to maximize the amount of shade I can get and I'm hoping for a fairly fast grower. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neilaz(9a)

The higher night temps we have been getting in the summer have been taking a toll on pine tress in the valley. If the trend continues pine trees will go from looking bad to dying. They need cooler nights to move sugar from root zone to leaves and back again. This process does not occur when nights temps stay as high as they have the past few summers. Global warming is real just not caused by man. Increased CME's from the sun is. Nothing we can do about it.

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 9:10AM
agility_mom(z9 AZ)

I had an Aleppo Pine at my other house years ago and it grew fairly fast and looked good when I had it. We had bought it as a live Christmas Tree and planted it.
Some friends really liked our tree and the next year we bought another to use as our Christmas Tree and then gave it to them for their yard after Christmas.
The tree did well for a couple of years and then started turning brown and died. At that time there was something going around affecting Aleppo Pines. I think it was a blight. They had a tree Dr come out and look at it and it was diseased. I'm not sure if that is still a problem or not but it is something that you may want to check on before buying one.
Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 10:59AM
aztreelvr

Both Aleppo (Pinus halepensis) and Afghan (Pinus eldarica) are large trees that do well in our desert climate. The Italian Stone Pine is also well adapted but grows at a slower rate than the other two and develops a rounded, spreading crown at maturity.

Another choice would be the Canary Island Pine (Pinus canariensis) which has a very vertical growth habit.

You can search for more information on these pines and others at the link below. Just click on the "Plants" button at the top of the screen. This site also has great photos of many landsapes as well as a comprehensive reference section.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Wise Landscaping in Chandler (Arizona)

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
Can/Should this Hong Kong Orchid tree be saved?
My 1 1/2 year old Hong Kong Orchid was hit by the frost...
goldie11
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
Spinach, swiss chard - something eating holes in leaves
I don't see any critter on the plants during the day,...
art_in_ov
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™