Canary date palm question

roots3003(9)December 19, 2008

I'm new to the forum and to AZ. I just bought a canary date palm on sale that I would like to plant between the block wall surrounding my yard and the brick landscape border I built, which is 4' from the wall. I was thinking if I planted it as close to the bricks as possible, that would be plenty of room for it to develop. Does anyone have any input on that?

Also, what are the chances of a dragon tree surviving out there? I planted a small one out there in the beginning of November, and it hasn't seemed to grow a bit. I'm in Queen Creek.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

I love those Canary Island date palms too. Your potential spot sounds a little crowded while the plant is young and its fronds are low enough to rub on the wall, but they can be trimmed to be shorter than that if you like. Once it's tall enough that its head of foliage is taller than the wall you should have enough room, though they do get chubby so if you've got a larger spot for it that might be the better location. A pygmy date palm might be a good alternative, or even a Mediterranean fan palm?

Let us know what you do and how it works out.
Take care,
Grant

Bookmark   January 14, 2009 at 2:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
softmentor(z9/sunset13 CA desert)

Canary are huge and the fronds will take up a span of 25 to 30 feet. Later the trunk alone will take up more than 4 feet.
Arthur the date palm guy

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
Where is everyone?
Did you all hit the road because of the changes? I...
ernie85017
Tucson Xeriscape has a weird disease
Late last summer, many of the plants in my xeriscaped...
jukesgrrl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™