Worms in the Valley

GeneJr(9A)December 18, 2013

I've been told there are earthworms in the soil in the Phoenix area but I've never seen any in my vegetable garden. I've been adding a lot of organic matter so if there are any I figured I'd have seen them by now. Does anyone know if earthworms exist here? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gene

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Yes, they are here. I even find them in pots and can only assume they came up through drainage holes. I also add worms to newly filled containers. If your soil is hard and dry, you may not have any earthworms.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 2:27PM
dlg421

The do live here at least in some areas of the valley. I have lived in Tempe for 30 years and have seen them in my garden a few times during the wetter years. Once we had enough rain that they even came up on the sidewalk to commit suicide like they do back east after a rainfall. Most of the time they stay down deep in the wetter areas of my garden.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 7:04PM
GeneJr(9A)

That's good to hear. I haven't seen any yet but hopefully I can entice them to the organic matter and green manures I've been adding. If you build it they'll come.

Gene

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 7:13PM
jaspermplants

Of course we do...if your soil is completely devoid of organic material you may not have many. I am digging up a portion of my front yard for a rose garden and I have found many in the top couple inches. I've actually been surprised to see so many since I haven't added done much to improve the soil in this part of my yard yet.

Adding organic mulch and compost will bring them but don't know how long it will take; feed the soil and you'll have earthworms.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 9:41PM
kevininphx

I have many in all beds of my yard - I live in central Phoenix!

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 4:49PM
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ

I have them in my backyard especially underneath the pots since that area is almost always kept moist throughout the year.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Pioneersands just lost a customer. (Bulk soil/manure/mulch)
I've been buying bulk soil(sandy loam), manure, and...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
Is this a good or bad caterpillar?
Is this a good or a bad caterpillar? It's on my petunias....
greendreamhome
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™