My 'Roger's Red' is yellow :(

haname(z9 AZ NE Phoenix)December 15, 2008

I planted a Vitis californica California Wild Grape this past summer, and was expecting the fall color to be red. It was labeled as a "Roger's Red." But the fall leaves are not red, they're yellow. :(

Do I need to feed or do something to change the soil pH to get the red color I wanted?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aztreelvr

I wouldn't be too concerned about your vine not producing fall color yet. Because it is fairly new it may not have had a chance to produce the yellow (carotenoids, carotenes, and xanthophylls) and red and purple (anthocyanin and betacyanin) pigments.

The leaves of my Roger's Red turned yellow/tan/brown the first fall but now turns red/maroon/crimson. The colors are so vibrant it looks like part of the holiday decorations. I posted a photo to the gallery section last April. Take a look.

PS. I don't fertilize. It's planted along a chain link fence in the yard - no amendments, just native soil. This is a big vine extending at least 20 feet in each direction. It even climbed into the grapefruit tree. So give yours room.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   December 29, 2008 at 12:30PM
More Discussions
using hydrogen peroxide
I have long been a user of hydrogen peroxide, in my...
Sagepass
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
placement of Gasteraloe
I scored yesterday on a 1.5 gallon gasteraloe at HD....
temperene
'Desert Museum' and 'Sonoran Emerald' Palo Verdes
The last thread on these two trees was about a year...
dlg421
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™