WANTED: Opuntia Imbricata or Other Cholla or Opuntia

paulzie32(9)January 18, 2007

I'm looking for a branch of most types of Chollas, Imbricata, Fulgida, Bigelovii, clavata, etc. I have two types, but they're small and I can't ID yet but are not any of above.

I love cactus and Orchids and would like really any type of Opuntia. I have a few types, but I don't know what they are.

One was collected in Pensacola, Florida,

One was collected in Port St. Lucie, Florida.

I also have some seedlings of different columnar cacti... Seeds were collected from all over Caribbean.

I have cuttings of Pereskia - an orange flowered type.

I also have a couple orchids I could trade... Vanilla being one.

I live in Florida so have access to lots of different tropicals so if there's something you'd like that you know is in Florida, let me know.

Would love to hear from anyone that has cacti.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccroulet(z9 CA Sunset 18)

Cylindropuntia bigelovii (= Opuntia bigelovii) mostly reproduces vegetatively, i.e. from fallen joints. They are dangerous! The debris beneath these cacti is a confusion of barbed spines, upon which one can become impaled in any act of momentary carelessness. They are often called "jumping cactus."

This is a "forest" of Bigelow Cholla in Mason Valley, eastern San Diego Co., CA (26 Mar 2008):

This is an example of the litter underneath one of these cacti. This stuff is all over the place. Photographed at Bisnaga Wash, eastern San Diego Co., CA. 26 Mar 2008:

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 1:40AM
paulzie32(9)

Very Cool! ccroulet
Don't they just look so incredible?
Thanks for the pics. did you take them? Do you have access to all these "droppings"?

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 9:24PM
ccroulet(z9 CA Sunset 18)

(1) Yes, I took the photos on 26 Mar 2008.

(2) These photos were both taken in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, San Diego Co., Calif., and these particular plants are totally protected. But that's not so much an issue (since they also populate vast areas outside the park) as the fact that I've had many run-ins with Bigelow cholla over the years, and I'm not going to collect any fallen joints. I'd think a dry climate with warm to hot summers and mild winters would be best for them to look right. They grow naturally in rocky/gravelly soil.

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Needs a new home also
This guy again is way too big for the apartment and...
brownie
wanted: wanted: cleistocactus
Looking for some of the harder-to-find species of Cleistocactus. There...
minime8484
HAVE: Have: 1" clay starter pots
Does anyone here use these? I have a boxfull I would...
denise_gw
WANTED: Where to buy succulents on-line?
I have never ordered succulents or cacti on-line. Have...
yooperlady
HAVE: Cereus peruvianus to good homes
I gave a lot away so far but I still got way too many....
Stush2049
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™