Does this clipping have any hope of survival?

gr8heather(6b)January 26, 2013

I got this single clipping (frosty pink?) in the mail months ago, in a regular white envelope with no protection. It was smashed on 2 sides. As my first attempt at rooting a Brug, I put it in water for awhile, and it did grow roots, probably about a third of an inch long, and several of them. Then I noticed that it had split open on one side, and that worried me, so I put it in a tiny pot of dirt and put it under my domed grow light. Bad idea. It's few tiny leafs started looking really bad, so I took it out of the dirt, and almost all of the roots had shriveled and died. 2 of the tiny leafs fell off. I dipped it in rooting hormone (the white stuff in the pics) and put it back into water, under lights (no dome this time). I think I've probably killed it, does it have any chance? I potted a fresh clipping off of my personal orange plant at the same time under the domed light, and it seems to be doing great, it even has a root.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmbill(6a)

It's pretty iffy but you might save it by cutting it off about an inch each side of the leaves and planting it horizontaly, mostly buried except for the growth. Let it dry out for a day where you cut it off. Moisten the potting soil and put it in a ziplock bag until it starts to grow. Keep it out of direct sun.
Good luck.
Bill

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 2:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gr8heather(6b)

Done. Hope it works, it seems doubtful though, the ring inside the skin was just slightly brown. Not as green as a nice new cutting. Oh well, I will hope for the best. Thanks!

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
quick question
Should I cut off all the bottom growth so I have one...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
Need Brugs Cuttings
Hello, a few yrs back a very nice woman on this forum...
gardenlady48
Sphagnum Moss Rooting Method - Step by Step!
I've had a couple of requests as to how I root my cuttings!...
sibhskylvr
Chocolate Brug
Gm, This is Eddie. Can you please email me at Eddie.Stiltner@my.lr.edu I...
eddiedewayne
angel trumpet seeds
im getting ready to bid on some white and purple angel...
jeannie75
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™