Repotting

weldontx(z 8a TX)October 9, 2011

I KNOW this has probably been asked a thousand times, but being new to this site AND to amaryllis, I'll ask. I got some amaryllisss (or is that amaryllii) that have been in their pots for some time. I would like to repot and get them into some better soil. Will need sort of a step by step guideline, if you don't mind. The plants are still very green but not putting on any new grown. They did bloom in the spring.

I now have a planter FULL of seedlings from a cross that I made. Will these be OK to stay outside in the planter for the winter? I"m in zone 8a north of Ft. Worth, TX.

Thanks for any comment you care to make.

Weldon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Hi Weldon. Read the FAQ message - DO NOT REPLY TO IT - and that should give you lots of basic information on repotting and splitting the offsets from the mother bulb, if that's what you want to do.

"They" say that you can grow amaryllis outside up near Dallas all year, but your seedlings will be very susceptable to cold and freezing. Be sure and mulch your mature bulbs very heavily. If it were me (and I live in Spring, TX) I'd bring them in onto a porch or offer them some protection. I overwinter mine in a greenhouse that never goes below 45...others sit on the enclosed porch, and seedlings live inside under lights until they are at least 1 year old.

Read the FAQ and that will give you some tips on pot size etc. If your plants are doing well....you might wait until they go dormant to repot them...otherwise, you are bound to have lots of leaf breakage, etc. Just easier too!
Kristi

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 5:50PM
weldontx(z 8a TX)

Thanks, Kristi. My amaryllis have always been kept protected during the winter (I got them at mature size a year ago). I will have a protected porch for them to stay on and a heated shop with lights where the seedlings can stay at about 50 degrees on the coldest days. The lights are on timers -- 16 hrs on, 8 off. But can change that if less light is needed. However, I do start a lot of seedlings starting in Dec.
Your reply is really appreciated.
Weldon

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 10:51PM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Weldon we all do things slightly different. My seedlings get 15 on/9 off, only because that lets me sleep in a dark room!

If yours are thriving for you, you must be caring for them well!
Kristi

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Help ID mislabeled hipies needed please
Hi everybody I bought 2 Giraffes and I was so happy...
tsucath
Planting Papilio in the ground
I live about 20 miles north of New Orleans in zone...
John Lusk
Nititii P.
Basil Plate Propagation
Hi, My friend- Nongnuch Nakmanoch did basil plate propagation...
Nititii P.
pink amaryllis
I've been going through a pink phase. Here are some...
chinhster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™