My first- Silver Urn

Jess5515February 4, 2013

I received a Silver Urn plant as a gift this weekend. Its huge, with two pups the size of the mother, and all three are in bloom. In an attempt to help, my significant other replanted it into a pot using African Violet Mix (I'm guessing its bc that was the first bag of potting mix he could find in the garage).

So now I need to know what type of mix it SHOULD be in, since I'm assuming I'll need to change that. Also, I'd like to separate the pups. Is there anything special I need to do, or just pull them apart? Right now the plant is in an area of the living room that gets filtered sunlight in the afternoon, and I have the cups filled in each.

Ive been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now, so I'm very excited to have my first brom. Any tips or advice is much appreciated.

This post was edited by Jess5515 on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 10:29

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rednofl(9b Goldenrod Fl hz 10)

You can leave it alone at this point and enjoy the blooms Any kind of fast draining soil is good. Moist to dry is good, wet is bad . They should be divided when they are growing, before they bloom. Enjoy the beautiful blooms, Then when it is done it should start to produce pups which you can remove when they are 1/3 the size of the mother plants. If you are in a warm area stick them out under a tree once thy start looking a little ratty and take the pups. Enjoy

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 6:42AM
jwnesmith(8b/9)

What is a Silver Urn?

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 9:52PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

I'd say Aechmea fasciata. Silver Vase/Silver Urn.

tj

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 10:30PM
tthomas88(z7bNC)

Do you have any pups of the silver urn for postage?

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 7:47PM
splinter1804

Hi everyone
jwnesmith - As tsugajunkie says, Silver Urn is the name given to Aechmea fasciata which is one of the first bromeliad plants to be introduced into America and Europe after the Ananas (Pineapple).

There is a picture of it at the top right corner of the home page.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 12:14AM
janartmuse

African violet mix should be fine. I hope it's not in a huge pot, though. Advice about sogginess is true. Even so, these plants are tough. I don't bother removing the pups, myself. I am happy with massive clumps and eventually pulling or cutting off brown leaves from the old plants. They hang on for a very long time. Three blooming bracts at once sounds spectacular! Wonderful!

Janine

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
ID please
PAnother blooming that needs ID Thanx Carmen
gardencraze
Buying broms
Where is the best place to buy bromeliads online? Would...
josephene_gw
Hey Nev!
What's going on with the other forum????
gonzer_gw
Is this a bromeliad???
I got this from my aunt, who wasn't sure what it is....
embolton0620
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™