Close encounter with Mexican cats

gcertain(7)September 7, 2008

Until yesterday it was mere curiosity, but then I got a little too close to some particularly savage looking caterpillars I'd seen on a peach tree. I was weeding around the tree, being careful not to disturb the cats, when I felt a tingle on the back of my upper arm. I had brushed against a rose bush and thought at first the thorns had pricked me. But on closer inspection, I saw that some of the cats had migrated to the rose bush.

"Owwwww," I whined, and headed for the house, the weeding abandoned for the day. My arm was starting to throb. I planned to take Benedryl and go to bed, but I decided to see how bad it would get, so I just washed the area with soap and cold water and scrubbed it with a nail brush (that felt good).

After the cold scrubbing-induced numbness wore off, it didn't hurt anymore. I could detect several mosquito-bite-size bumps under the skin and a slight tenderness, but I had no more pain or itching. Overall, it was not nearly as bad as, say, a jellyfish sting.

I've been finding a lot of different cats, only a couple of which I have recognized. Maybe some of you can help identify them. When I return to Mexico in January, I'll bring the appropriate gear to rear some of them to adulthood. From Butterflies and Moths of Michoac

These eggs are on a black cherry leaf. I think they are probably the same species as the stinging cats on the peach and rose. From Butterflies and Moths of Michoacán

I find these on thorn bushes. From Butterflies and Moths of Michoacán

I find these on romero milkweed (A. linaria) summer and winter. From Butterflies and Moths of Michoacán

I think this is a Queen. It is on romero milkweed. From Butterflies and Moths of Michoacán

I was ecstatic to find this tiny Eastern Black Swallowtail when I stopped to photograph the flower on my dill. I brought him inside and offered him dill, fennel and parsley to see which he preferred. So far, he's remained on his original dill florette. The next day, I found his older brother on the the fennel plant, so I brought him in too. They are in separate containers for now, at least until the little guy grows enough to hold his own. From Butterflies and Moths of Michoacán

I shot this from across the fence. I think the vine may be milkweed, but I won't be sure until I get a closer look.

geni

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Geni, the caterpillar is a luna moth cat.
I can't help you with IDing your cats, but the ones on asclepias linaria look a lot like scarlet-bodied wasp moths and polka dot wasp moths, which use host plants similar to milkweed, so I imagine they're one of the brightly colored, day flying wasp moths.
The last one looks like a salt marsh moth cat, so, if that's not what is is, it's probably something close, like a woolly bear.
Beautiful pictures!
Sherry

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 9:23AM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Geni,

I love the Polka Dot cats. They remind me of this little BF I saw in Laos. I was never able to find an ID for it.

Keep posting your finds!

Sandy

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 2:16PM
gcertain(7)

Sherry, thanks for the suggestions. I tried rearing some of the yellow milkweed cats this year, but I gave up when they wouldn't eat. I didn't have a good habitat for them, but next trip I'll bring an enclosure.

Experience has told me that BST cats are like Lay's potato chips -- never just one. I'm up to five now, and they are happily eating dill and fennel. The four little ones are in a plastic box that alfafa sprouts came in, and the big one is in a makeshift enclosure, the top of a five-liter water bottle over a plastic container of water with fennel stuck through a hole in the lid, all sitting on a paper plate.

I continue to find the spiny ones on rose leaves, and I've found two so far on the doormat. They're coming after me where I live. Fortunately, I've had no lingering effects from the stings.

Sandy, what a beautiful little butterfly. I hope you'll post more of your Laos photos -- or have I overlooked them?

Here's a pic of the BST habitat.
From Butterflies and Moths of Michoacán

And here's another unusual cat I saw on a walk recently.
From Butterflies and Moths of Michoacán

geni

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 3:21AM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

No, Genie, you haven't overlooked them. I need to get a blog set up as I have so many photos. I'll try to post a few of my favs. I have sure enjoyed your photos. I think a trip to Mexico is in my future!

Sandy

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 9:11AM
gcertain(7)

I am incorrigible. With two days left here before I return to Alabama, I discovered two more little BST cats on the fennel. What did I do -- brought them inside, of course. And today I found another one on parsley. I brought it in, too. I now have seven little ones happily eating fennel, dill and parsley. The largest one pupated a couple of days ago. I know I'll have to put them back outside tomorrow, but it's been fun having them inside for a few days. From Butterflies and Moths of Michoacán This is the first one I found and it is now the biggest of the remaining cats. From Butterflies and Moths of Michoacán These are the first four little cats, before I added three more to the enclosure. The chrysalis is on the side of the water container.

Bookmark   September 15, 2008 at 12:06AM
gcertain(7)

My last official act of 2008 in my Mexican butterfly garden was to return my BST cats to the wild. I moved the water container to the herb garden and let some of the cats migrate to the fennel. Then I moved the container next to the dill and let the rest of the cats go to their preferred host. Finally, when all the cats had made the transfer, I dumped out the water and put the container on top of the upturned birdbath next to a tall cosmos stalk so that when the butterfly ecloses it can climb the cosmos to dry its wings. I put a rock inside the plastic cup so the wind won't blow it off, and I just crossed my fingers and hoped that the cosmos leaves would provide cover from curious birds. That's all I could think to do for them; now it's up to nature to decide whether they make it.

So, when I got back to Alabama, what did I find on my parsley? Two gigantic BST cats, which are now happily munching away on parsley inside a mesh container next to my computer.
geni

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 12:28AM
More Discussions
Found a tagged Monarch today
It was on some Milkweed flowers. I could see a white...
jane__ny
Did anyone watch the Monarch Butterfly segment on CBS Sunday Morning?
This was interesting and inspirational! The speaker...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Sponsored Products
Navy & White Nautical Chain Insulated Picnic Basket
$13.99 | zulily
Korver Leather Chair - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture
Peugeot Baltaz Basalte Lever Corkscrew
$90.00 | FRONTGATE
Grafton Bed Multicolor - RN467
$229.99 | Hayneedle
St. Barts Diamond Blue Outdoor Pillow
$54.50 | FRONTGATE