Datmansia

gatsou(z8 Fr)January 25, 2013

Hello,

I had bought few years ago seeds of a 'Datmansia' on Ebay.Plants obtained were very similar to a large Datura meteloides and I was unable to find specificity of this intergeneric crossing.
Does anyone has grow a true 'Datmansia' plant?

Thanks.

gatsou

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

I trialed them for the lady in Washington state who hybridized them. I don't know if she will see this or not, and I cannot answer your question. I can tell you that mine are still growing here in North Texas. They come back each Spring from the roots as well as reseed if I am not diligent about removing the seed pods.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 10:02AM
gatsou(z8 Fr)

Thank you Carie for your reply.

If I well understand your Datmansia are frost hardy.Are flowers look like a large white trumpet like Datura meteloides?
Alls parts of my plants were similar to D. meteloides without any special characters from the Brugmansia parent.

So, for me ,seeds i received were fake.
Unlike you, I've harvested lot of seeds.And if somes gardeners want some,please ask me.

Gatsou

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 10:52AM
karyn1(7a)

I know the person that made this hybrid and I don't believe they are intentionally "fake". They either don't express any of the brug genes or maybe had unknowingly been pollinated by another datura. I also have no idea if the person who made this cross ever sold any on Ebay. It's possible that the seeds were from someone else. I grew several generations of plants from the original seeds and mine have always looked like a typical datura, foliage and flowers. The member that made the cross is "karmahappytoes" and she used to post here often but none of us "old timers" post here much anymore, if at all.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 4:58PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Yes, karma said she used tissue culture plants for her hybridization and that she sold only once on ebay to someone in Canada and someone in California. They are not fake plants, and they do bloom out just like the common datura, but the blooms last longer than those.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
jhl1654
WANTED: Rooted Cuttings. Any Variety
I spent a small fortune on small UNROOTED cuttings,...
poohbearlvr
Sphagnum Moss Rooting Method - Step by Step!
I've had a couple of requests as to how I root my cuttings!...
sibhskylvr
quick question
Should I cut off all the bottom growth so I have one...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
Chocolate Brug
Gm, This is Eddie. Can you please email me at Eddie.Stiltner@my.lr.edu I...
eddiedewayne
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™