Life Histories of Cascadia Butterflies

KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OHJanuary 24, 2012

Found another new book. Decided to see what BioQuip's specials were this month and saw this on their home page. According to Amazon, it came out October 1st. It is by David G. James and David Nunnallee. Covers butterflies in southern British Columbia, Washington, northern Idaho, and northern Oregon. Forward is by Robert Michael Pyle, who also wrote a book on the same subject with David Nunnallee.

KC

Here is a link that might be useful: WSU Entomologist Coauthors New Book on Life Histories of Pacific Northwest Butterflies

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH

This is an interview with David G. James about the book.

I'd like to see a California Sister caterpillar in action. Fangs?! Constructs a platform from its own frass?! I need video! I found none on YouTube. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: EarthFix Conversations: Photographing the Northwest's Butterflies

1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2012 at 5:15AM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

KC,

Very interesting. Seems like Larry and I corresponded about this book. He didn't know the people who wrote it. I hope to spend more time in the Cascadia area this summer if possible. Getting there at just the right time is the biggie.

Caterpillar fangs? Platform from frass? This definitely needs to be shown in photos. The Painted Lady larva fills its nest full of frass, and other larvae propel the frass as far from the feeding area as possible.

Thanks for sharing.

Sandy

1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2012 at 9:44AM
larry_gene

"Cascadia" is dominated by fritillaries in summer. The best viewing is at meadows, ridgelines, and prominences in August, where there is more variety than just the roadside fritillary.

Cascadia is more properly everything from Lassen in California to Garibaldi in BC, and that is the scope of the Pyle book.

1 Like    Bookmark   January 24, 2012 at 10:37PM

As I've said in other threads, I'm trying to avoid buying thick paperback books. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find this book in hardcover. So I tried getting a library copy to see what type of copy they are using but I failed. No one close to me has a copy and I can get one shipped to me only if I can show I'm doing qualified research (which I cannot). So I went to plan C and contacted the publisher. They said it is available only in paperback. :( Guess I will break down, buy it in paperback, and treat it gently.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 9:50PM

I see I never posted here what I thought of the book. I love it. Book has pictures of each instar. Authors explain what they went through to get eggs and raise each butterfly. An awesome piece of work.

1 Like    Bookmark   November 14, 2014 at 2:14PM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Bump....

Bookmark   November 21, 2014 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
We need Monarch wings to help injured Monarchs!
We are looking for Monarch wings anyone has saved from...
KSOhio
Disney's "Wings of Life"
If you want to be truly astonished by the beauty and...
saxonmjs
Starting to look good in the south U.S.A....
Yesterday and today I saw butterflies here in my "yard". Actually...
dragonflydee
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Sponsored Products
Charlotte Street Table Runner 15" x 72" - FRENCH NAVY
$30.00 | Horchow
Layered Coffee Table in White
$499.99 | Dot & Bo
N Natori Fretwork Cotton Duvet Cover with Sham Options
Overstock.com
Egg Shell French Oval Shade 5.25/7.5x10.5/12x9 (Spider)
$99.91 | Lamps Plus
Navy Garden Tile Rug
$29.99 | zulily
HiTeak Furniture Outdoor Pool Backless Bar Stool - HLC462
$289.91 | Hayneedle
Pagoda Outdoor Lantern
$129.50 | FRONTGATE
Lyndhurst Red and Black Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. Rug
$296.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™