Dead pupating monarch?

notsotypicalblondeJanuary 27, 2013

I sadly found this dead monarch pillar upon returning home this afternoon. He has looked to split his skin right in the middle, so there was a bright green bit poking out of the skin with the remainder of the skin still intact on him although wrinkled looking like it was to be shed. With any others ive seen pupating im sure the split started at bottom. So it It had hung normally and looked fine at lunchtime (he has been raised indoors although the window was open).

Does this look like anything anyone has seen before?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
minrose(4Mn)

I have raised over 2000 Monarchs over the past few years and I have never seen anything like that. too bad for this catepillar/monarch.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 8:13AM
runmede(7a Virginia)

Look at the picture D8. "Baculoviruses: larva may have vomiting/diarrhea. Skin of a dead larva breaks apart easily, releasing the virus which can spread to other caterpillars. This virus comes in 2 forms:
Nuclear polyhedrosis virus (NPV)"

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Diseases

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 3:26PM
notsotypicalblonde

thanks runmede, yet that picture certainly resembles my poor wee fella.

Funnily enough the caterpillars I have been raising (nursery bought stock) have been extremely healthy to date and have had a 100% success rate until this guy.

Last year (again stock I bought from the nursery) I am sure had an Oe problem as I lost many caterpillars and had a deformed adult elcose.

Anyway, I am pretty new to this, and just raising a small number (25-30) inside for my own enjoyment and to tag and release in my colder area of New Zealand

Warm regards
Katrina

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
Is everyone ready for upcoming SPRING????
I am in Florida. I already made a flower bed inside...
angelimperfect36
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Zebra Longwing Butterfly.
This is a photo, of a beautiful, Zebra Longwing Butterfly,...
woollybear69
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™