hippeastrum (amaryllis bulbs) at affordable prices?

hippeastrumadmirer(5)October 8, 2011

do you know anywhere, were they sell amaryllis bulbs at affordable prices like 5$ for example, I know food basics has them!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joshy46013

You can wait until the season for buying is over and the bulbs go on sale, you can buy the big box stores bulbs for five dollars but almost all of them come with virus.

If you want the good quality you're looking at 13 dollars a bulb and shipping but it's worth the cost considering they're much better varieties and the quality is tons better.

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 10:01PM
wally_1936(8b)

joshy46013 is probably right by I have no problems with the ones I bought from WallyWorld. They have given me many years of blooms but then I grow them in the ground. In Canada you probably have a harder time finding anything in your area. It just may take a lot of hunting on your part along with the help of your local friends. Doesn't your government have extension agents in your area who can help?

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 11:28AM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Mike - Guernys has Zombie bulbs for $4 something each. Don't know about shipping to Canada. Maybe Anny will chime in.
K

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 1:44PM
hippeastrumadmirer(5)

I finally understand why they are mostly virus it's 1. because most people would throw them out after blooming! 2. Is it illegal for the bulb companies to sell virused bulbs? Will a virus lead to fatal death or just leave a discoloration on the plant?

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 12:01PM
anna_in_quebec(z4 QC)

I usually order from Royal Colors, and the price is very reasonable for high quality bulbs. Also, I order here in Canada from Botanus, Veseys, Garden Import (they have many African, smaller types), McFayden's and Lindenberg Seeds. Alas, many of these places are expensive, as in over $20 for an Apple Blossom! I also rely on my local co-op for cheap ($9) and huge healthy bulbs. I hope that helps.

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
Planting Papilio in the ground
I live about 20 miles north of New Orleans in zone...
John Lusk
I;m not Kahlua, who am I?
Title should be "I'm"...not "I;m"!...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Worsleya seeds
If anyone is interested, someone is offering worsleya...
rredbbeard
Help Me Grow A Worsleya
Hello. I'm a avid collector of amaryllis bulbs. I heard...
robnelms
Nititii P.
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™