40 % Pine Bark Fines

20 % Orchid Mix

20 % Perlite

20 % Turface

tia for any recommendations

Nam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
e36yellowm3(7 Raleigh, NC)

Hi Nam, on a tip from Pat that papilios were epiphytes I put mine in 100% orchid mix (which has big perlite chunks in it) and they've finally stopped sulking on me and are back on the road to happiness (I hope). Alana

Bookmark   October 21, 2009 at 9:38PM
jodik_gw

A few of the species type Hippeastrum grow as epiphytes in their natural habitat... so, I'd say that an orchid medium would work fine.

I grow all of my bulbs in a mix of pine bark, granite chips and perlite... more commonly known as "Al's Mix". The turface and granite chips are interchangeable... I just couldn't locate turface in my area.

One of the members here, Pat, actually has Papillio bulbs mounted, like an epiphyte... and has others growing in moss baskets with orchid bark, I believe.

I'd say, go right ahead and use the medium you feel comfortable with... it sounds like you've got a good assortment of ingredients to work with.

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 1:04AM
namfon

Thanks for the responses folks

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 2:32PM
ewohryn(9-N Cntl FL)

put it on a square bromelid/orchid platform with a handful of charcoal. Mist it once a month with dilute chamomille tea. If your house is too dry mist it more often. Hang it in a tree in warm weather. If you must put it in a pot, anything that is well draining. Prop the bulb up without planting until it sets the roots. Yes it's an air plant.
Bill

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 8:40PM
e36yellowm3(7 Raleigh, NC)

Wow, so that's what you can do with those chamomile tea bags that come in the sampler pack?!! What does misting with that do for the plant, though? Alana

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 9:29PM
jodik_gw

I'm not sure what tea would do, but since I am in the middle of re-potting several of my bulbs, I do believe I'm going to re-pot my Papillio into orchid bark. It's been growing fine in its current medium, but I'd prefer spectacular growth! I may do the same for the cybisters I have... and maybe even a few of the species... hmmm.

I wonder where I could locate a small moss basket? Smaller than the 10" and larger ones seen every spring in the garden section of the stores...

Bookmark   October 23, 2009 at 5:32AM
More Discussions
Help ID mislabeled hipies needed please
Hi everybody I bought 2 Giraffes and I was so happy...
tsucath
Hippeastrum 'Belicia', any knowledge?
Hi everyone, The thing is my recently purchased White...
lenanen
Holding my breath ...
My Noid is about to reveal her identity …
bragu_DSM 5
Help Me Grow A Worsleya
Hello. I'm a avid collector of amaryllis bulbs. I heard...
robnelms
Basil Plate Propagation
Hi, My friend- Nongnuch Nakmanoch did basil plate propagation...
Nititii P.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™