Morning Dancer and Demo bulbs are blooming

kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)October 12, 2010

Well, Macguires bulbs have really delivered this year. Last year I got no blooms and this year nearly all are wide awake and blooming (have or will soon) except City of Grafton that is firmly dormant!

Here is Morning Dancer....in the morning sun and then later in the day in the studio! The afternoon light really didn't show her true colors, but I just noticed the white edge on the 3 petals!

And...since I am speaking to 2 garden clubs on Thursday (they say over 50 people!), I figured I'd better have some blooms...and I planted some Bellisimo, Baby Doll, Fanfare, and Alfresco in a huge pot. Some are alreadly open and I hope some others can make it in the next 2 days!! Alfresco is trying, but won't make it to the party...although the buds are huge!!!

:-)

Kristi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dondeldux

Kristi, Morning Dancer is just beautiful...love the color and the white stripes! It looks like it could be a sibling of City of Grafton and maybe Lavender Blue with that veining. Your community pot looks impressive, should wow the crowd...are you going to give away any extra seedlings as favors of a sort? I wish I'd thought of it a month or so ago and I could have sent you some extra seedling so you could give them away...If you do another talk, let us know and I'm sure several of us have extra seedling to donate to a good cause.....

You're right about the Maguires being raring to go, my teeny tiny Surprise bulb has 2 teeny tiny seedpods x Party Pooper growing full speed ahead, I don't think there can be more than a couple seeds inside, but they are perfectly formed and I just happened to peek at the bottom of the pot the the root were actually growing out of the hole!! Now they're not all doing this well, but most of them are!!I keep pulling on most of them and most all of them have resistance, I can't believe they rooted so quickly...I will say though, that this is actually the first time I have used rooting hormone and it appears to work...guess I'll use it from now on!

Love Morning Dancer's wide open face......

Donna

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 9:25PM
e36yellowm3(7 Raleigh, NC)

Kristi, Morning Dancer looks like a painting. Amazing coloring. I'm happy to donate seedlings in the future too.

Donna, interesting observation about the rooting hormone. I've got to try that. I honestly hadn't thought of putting it on bulbs. Thanks for the tip.

Alana

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 10:02PM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

I am taking some bulbs to give away...may have lots left (they had encouraged me to bring some to sell, so I ordered 100! and then...they made selling very complicated). Guess I know what everyone is getting for early Christmas gifts!
:-)K

PS...she is very "open" Donna!

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 7:19AM
More Discussions
Hippeastrum correiense
From Komoriya.. Sooo hopeful for the blooms.. What...
radhavall
test
just trying to figure out if i am signed in
snowdogmama
Planting Papilio in the ground
I live about 20 miles north of New Orleans in zone...
John Lusk
Rebloomer 'Giraffe'
Reblooming 'Giraffe' First scape with 5 flowers!! :)...
lenanen
Seeds from Argentina
Hi Donna, I bought some seeds in Argentina and one...
orchids_grower_1946
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™