How important is water quality?

williamrFebruary 17, 2009

I was wondering, in everybody's experience how important water quality is to a bromeliad's health? I had been using only distilled water on all my Catopsis but have since gotten lazy and am using just water from the hose now. They seemed to perform better with the distilled but I am not entirely sure. So how much difference does water quality make? Thanks.

-Michael

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hotdiggetydam

If you have good city water most will do fine. Anything clorine sensitive might need rain water or some kind of filtered water.

Bookmark   February 17, 2009 at 6:59PM
splinter1804

Hi Michael
I've always used the water from our water supply which is "Sydney Water". I even use it un-boiled or un-filtered in any way; even on the smallest of seedlings without any damage.

Occasionally I'll use tank water, but that's just to conserve town water and utilise the water collected from the roof and for no other reason.

I think we are very lucky to be able to drink our water straight from the tap without any filtering which is more that a lot of people in other towns and countries can do, so I guess we don't realise how well off we are.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 1:54PM
splinter1804

Hi Michael
Read Paul's thread on "Coconut Husk vs. Pinebark".

See post from Paul Mon. Feb. 16.09 2207 re. water quality, it could interest you.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 2:20PM
williamr

Thank you for the advice. I guess I will go back to distilled water since it will only run me $2 a week. I am not sure if Catopsis tend to be chlorine sensitive?
-Michael

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 11:42PM
bromaloonie

During the wet season here in the wet tropics of course we get beautiful fresh rainwater. I always notice a lovely crispness in the broms after the rain and a spurt of growth too.
In the dry season I water weekly or sometimes fortnightly with our mountain water that comes from National Heritage rainforest mountains. That is our town water, we just happen to live right at the begining of the line. There are no additives whatso ever in our water so i guess this is a good thing for us as humans and for my plants also.
It needs to be filtered as its a little grotty sometimes especially when weve had a big deluge in rainfall.

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 11:47PM
neomea

I use our local tap water mainly in winter....chlorinated and very good quality. I havent had any problems with Catopsis and tap water...no worries, though I suppose it depends on the amount of chlorine but in any event chlorine dissipates very quickly when exposed to air and light.

Dennis

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 2:38AM
More Discussions
Is this a bromeliad???
I got this from my aunt, who wasn't sure what it is....
embolton0620
NOID brom with blue inflo
any idea what this might be? the color is just unbelievable!...
petrushka
Problems with scale
Members, Indiana grower here. I have a major problem...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Bert in a basket
I have an Ae Bert that I would like to plant in an...
dogboy27
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™