Remove pups or not?

annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)February 16, 2013

Hi, I'm in Florida and I've had bromeliads for years but I really haven't done that well with them. I frequently get rot in the cup and then they pup but they end up declining. I think it might be related to having irrigation in some areas and not flushing out the cups. Basically, I'm too busy, and frequently, my hose doesn't reach anyway.

The real purpose of this post is to find out if there's less blooming if you let a plant form a large clump instead of removing pups to make other plants. I'm a lazy gardener and I also prefer large, clumping specimen type of plants. Do I need to remove pups and keep clumps small to get the best blooming? Thank-you, I just need to learn to do better with these plants.

Anna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunshine_qld

There is no reason you can't let them clump. They will eventually get too thick and have to be divided. I often cut the mum out after the pups have reached a good size and just let them grow.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 6:21AM
annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)

Thank-you! So it doesn't make them less likely to flower if you let two or three pups stay each year? Does it make it more likely they will flower if left to be a clump? Just wondering what the best flowering incentive is. Thanks.

Anna

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 5:02PM
splinter1804

High everyone,

annafl - I don't think it will alter the flowering capabilities of the pups whether you remove them or leave them on the plant to clump. When they reach maturity they will flower anyway; in fact I have found that some brom's flower much easier if they are left in a clump.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 8:47AM
More Discussions
ID help for a couple of things at Harry P. Leu Gardens in Orlando
I was at Leu Gardens earlier this week and, among a...
gdadtravelinig
Aech ampla
Does anybody out there grow Aech ampla? Do you have...
avane_gw
Anybody want to ID these Tillandsias?
I got 7 Tillandsias yesterday from a small store.....
MrBlubs
how to keep bromelaid til i get home
Hello, a friend gave me bromelaid out of her garden...
drich30099
Vriesea pups, are they even alive?
I just separated them today, after the parent was already...
Dekumask
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™