A classic hybrid blooming out of season

bluebonsai101(6a PA)October 16, 2011

Not sure why this classic is blooming now after growing all summer and then coming in for the fall after going dormant, but this sometimes happens as I think they get confused by the sudden increase in temperature. In any event, it was a nice flower to see :o) Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
twizzlestick

Very pretty. Never seen any blooming this odd time. Thanks for the photo as it is nice to see a bloom.

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 9:45AM
joshy46013

Very nice Hippestrelia Dan :) 'Durga Pradhan' is a wonderful hybrid, there are some other nice ones I'd like to find such as 'Red Star' or 'Red Beauty'.

Luckily a friend of mine that I'm sure uses this form incredibly rarely has some Hippestrelia involving white Hippeastrum! I'm excited to see those flower!

Josh

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 10:55AM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Josh, this one means more to me, because it came from the person who actually created it as a gift. Udai Pradhan also sent me seed of a cross of this back on to a Hippi (H. puniceum) which I hope I am fortunate enough to be able to grow to flowering size one day.

Twizzlestick, it is nice to see them at the "wrong" time of year I have to admit. I am pretty sure it is the rapid change in temp from 40s outside to 60s or 70s inside that causes some of them to do this. For example, I have a nice big Stenomesson incarnatum throwing a spike right now about 3 weeks after being brought in from the cold. Since this is the first time I have convinced this one to bloom I am looking forward to seeing it in a week or so :o) Dan

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 1:39PM
joshy46013

Dan, I'm really excited that you got seed from Udai! How's it coming along? I can't wait to see it bloom!!!

I have several Hippeastrum sending up scapes right now as well, H. aulicum, H. ferreyrae and a few others. H. aulicum is a winter bloomer so it's quite early but I'm sure moving it had some part in blooming.

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 2:11PM
houstonpat(9a)

Great quality exposure Dan.

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
The brighter side of a cold and snowy day...
3 Flower Papilio Bulb #2 opens it's flowers
mariava7
Planting Papilio in the ground
I live about 20 miles north of New Orleans in zone...
John Lusk
Worsleya aka Blue Amaryllis
I thought I would post my latest pics to a more reasonably...
bluebonsai101
Rebloomer 'Giraffe'
Reblooming 'Giraffe' First scape with 5 flowers!! :)...
lenanen
Seeds from Argentina
Yes they are twins but the seedlings have the leaf...
orchids_grower_1946
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™