Need help to revive a cryptanthus

susan_kc(7b)March 9, 2007

Hello all! First post here. IÂve been a plant fanatic for years, but just discovered this forum. ItÂs been very helpful and enjoyable!

I recently purchased a cryptanthus from WalMart, and to be honest, it is in pretty bad shape. When I bought it, it still had color in the center, but the leaf tips and bottom leaves were brown and shriveled. It was a mercy buy. IÂm hoping I can revive it, but donÂt know if there is anything special I can do. I know the basics of humidity, good soil drainage, and not keeping them too cold or too wet, but was hoping there is some extra TLC I can give this plant to revive it. ItÂs holding its own so far, but no new growth yet. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hotdiggetydam

Mine always look sad coming out of winter..washed out look...I get them into very bright filtered light and they perk up in 2 weeks..also I feed them a good dose of super thrive

Bookmark   March 9, 2007 at 7:30PM
bob740(zone 6 ,NY)

KC,
Some possibilities: (mealy bugs hidden in the stem/leaves/roots,or just plain dehydrated)
Remove it from its soil,wash/soak or rinse the whole plant,roots too, in an diluted plant insecticide,or,a diluted mix of water and dish-washer soap,and after 10 minutes or so,rinse in clean water.Remove dead lower leaves,and replant in new soil,with a small dash of plant fertilizer mixed in,water,and place in warm area with high light,or morning/late afternoon sun,keep slightly moist,not soggy.
If in a few weeks,it does not improve,plant outdoors (if temp.allows) in a bright shaded area,directly in the soil,no pot.Mother Nature will revive it,if its at all possible. This usually works for me. Worst case,you may still get it to send offsets to replant.
Bob

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 2:22PM
susan_kc(7b)

Thanks so much for the good suggestions. I'll try the washing and replanting this week, and let you know how it goes.

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 10:01AM
susan_kc(7b)

Good news!! There is new growth on my cryptanthus. It looks like there are 2 crowns coming up from the middle. Are these "pups" or is this the normal form the plant takes?

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 9:31AM
bob740(zone 6 ,NY)

Yes,KC,these are 'pups',also called 'offsets'.Just leave them on the 'mother plant',and they will eventually fall off,or can be taken off with a gentle tug when about a third the size of the mama. Then you can replant them,and they will be your new plants.
Sounds like things are improving.Good.
[a pic of two cryptanthus examples with some pups.On the left,too small to plant yet, on the right,the size is ok to remove and plant]

Bob

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 9:19PM
More Discussions
Eye candy at Sunshine Bromeliads
If you're in South Florida you definitely need to check...
halfwaythere1
colour change + floppy plants
hi all, i was shocked to find that 2 of my plants had...
drmedusae
Spanish moss in Fl. oaks, need to know what kind of herbicide to spray
I have a customer that has heavy growth of moss in...
Big Yard Services
Buyers Beware
A few words of caution when purchasing or receiving...
hotdiggetydam
Buying broms
Where is the best place to buy bromeliads online? Would...
josephene_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™