Out of milkweed! Need seeds!

young_at_heart(Zone 9 Houston)February 1, 2013

Hi everyone -
I have a problem in that the wintering monarchs have eaten almost every leaf of milkweed that didn't get nipped this winter. We really haven't had a winter in the Houston area. I remember exchanging seeds a few years ago when I was trying to establish my butterfly garden, but I don't remember what it's called or how to get to it. I have lots of cassia corymbosa and cassia alata seeds I would love to send to someone in exchange for a bunch of tropical milkweed seeds. If this is not the proper place to ask this - could you point me to the correct link? Thanks! This is already looking like a better butterfly year than I have had since our big freeze, then droubt.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poisondartfrog

Here.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Seed Exchange

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 4:52PM
linda_tx8(8)

If you don't mind the yellow-blooming A. curassavica, I could send you a little.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 12:49PM
growsy(8b GA)

Live Monarch gives away free milkweed seed for a sase. If you put in a donation they'll send you more seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Live Monarch

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 3:53PM
young_at_heart(Zone 9 Houston)

Thanks for your suggestions. I have ordered seeds from Monarch Live. I have monarchs laying eggs on tiny little seedlings in my yard. They have eaten all the leaves from the bigger ones and left only sticks. Maybe this means it will be a great season!

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 10:08PM
twosevenright(central MA)

I just received a pack of 300 seeds from Everwilde Farm for $2.75 I have them stratfying in my fridge now.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
Zebra Longwing Butterfly.
This is a photo, of a beautiful, Zebra Longwing Butterfly,...
woollybear69
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
"showy milkweed" asclepias-speciosa plants available
For your information: Milkweed plants currently available...
mary_littlerockar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™