Stowaway cabbage butterfly eclosed in my basement

weedlady(Central OH 6)February 2, 2012

Never knew it, but there evidently was a chrysalis hidden somewhere among some of the stuff (nursery pots) I brought in from the garden late last fall. Went downstairs to sort laundry yesterday morning and was very startled to see it fluttering about. Caught it pretty easily and put it into the small terrarium I had used for monarchs in the summer. Now what?? Our daytime temps here in central Ohio are barely in the 40s and fall down to below freezing at night. As a gardener, I am certainly no fan of the white cabbage butterfly and used Bt on my Brussels sprouts with a clear conscience, but now it's here, I do not want it to suffer. I hate to say this in a butterfly forum, but would simply putting it outside give it a more merciful/quicker death than starvation? I'm open to other suggestions!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH

In a freezer for 3 days.

or

The pinning experts would kill it by giving the thorax a quick pinch.

or

Blunt force trauma works too.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 7:34PM
terrene(5b MA)

Well, I would not want it to suffer either, but would probably put it outside and let it fend for itself. Those "cabbage worms" ate so many holes in my kale last year. I kept picking off the cats and putting them in the bird's tray feeder, the Chickadees loved to munch them up. Next year I'm getting some BT!

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 6:20PM
weedlady(Central OH 6)

Well, I do confess to discovering a bunch of cats defoliating the Brussels sprouts after I had been negligent in applying the Bt; they ended up as snacks for the largemouth bass in the neighbor's pond. A quite satisfying few minutes of entertainment... Did the same last summer with the denizens of a couple of webworm nests I cut out of the black walnut tree.
But the winged forms are just so much cuddlier. :-)

I put the critter outside this afternoon; its fate is in Mother Nature's hands now.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 9:52PM
minrose(4Mn)

Weedlady, that is what I would have done. I can not bring myself to kill any butterfly, whatever it may be.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 7:47AM
More Discussions
Any one have Ptelea trifoliata?
Common name is wafer ash or hop tree. I would like...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Host Plants by Butterfly species
Well, everything is new here. Will post this to see...
mary_littlerockar
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™