N. Amazing Grace

gonzer_gwMarch 28, 2009

How many different forms are out there? On the FCBS, the 2nd plant: "unusual form", is downright incredible while the ones from Keith at bottom are great too. Any photos of member's plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hotdiggetydam

I have never grown any 2 that were alike...minds of their own but all beautiful

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 7:22PM
cache

Grace is one of my favorite Neos--not flashy but she has a quiet beauty that I love. I have grown out 3 generations and they all look like the usual form on FCBS. What a thrill it would be to produce a pup in the unusual form!

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 8:33PM
neomea

Hi Guys

Gonz: Funny you started this topic!!!

On saturday I cut my first sport off of one of my Amazing Graces. Happy happy!!!

The pup has a purple margin and has most of its variegation to one side of the leaf.

Pic?

Dennis

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 7:32AM
gonzer_gw

Let's see it Dennis!

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 7:43AM
neomea

100% I'll take one this arvo when I get home from the "coal face"!

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 8:24AM
neomea

Hi all

Well looking at other pics of AG this little chappie might not be all that sporty after all. I never took notice but mom also looks like the pup pictured below.

Oh well.....

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 3:53AM
neomea

Oh another question.

How difficult is it to produce these purple striated plants? I have two seedlings that have this trait but it will be interesting to see if they look any different from their Grace Darling mother. We all know AG, pinstripe and code red but what other nice purple striata plants are there?

Dennis

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 4:59AM
devo_2006

Here's my standard form of 'Amazing Grace'. A couple of mother plants looking somewhat tatty now, but they've produce a couple of nice pups.

And here's a pic' of 'Amazing Grace' Dark Form, unfortunately I've been feeding it to try and encourage faster growth, & pup production so it has lost much of it's colour & impact, however, you can get the idea that it's almost a reverse of the standard colour pattern, with green stripes on a dark leaf.

This photo is of the plant 'Red Romance' which is very similar to many of the striated radial reds, but it does tend to have a few wider red striations as well. If a pup is produced at the base of a leaf with a wide red band, then the pup can come out like this.

Dennis, I've done a number of crosses using some of these fine red striated neo's, & they are very good at passing on the red line trait to their seedlings, whether used as the pollen parent, or seed mother. However the markings in Amazing Grace seem to behave differently in hybridising than these fine red striated neo's. I've also got a list of all the red striated neo's that I know of...so if you're interested I could email it to you.

Cheers, Andrew.

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 6:00AM
neomea

Hi Andy

Ja please send....Oh and thanks for the info and pics!

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 6:46AM
splinter1804

Hi Gonz and everyone,
Sorry I took so long, but I had misplaced this pic. of one of my Amazing Graces which coloured up before it was properly mature.

We were a bit short of entries at our spring show and I put it in as a "table filler"

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 6:44PM
paul_t23(Coastal Sydney)

Hi Nev, great colour intensity and lots of red! I had one last year that looked terrific for several months - almost yellow with lots of red striations and really bright, then the leaves burnt off badly as the winter sun dropped below the roof line (just through 30% shadecloth on the front), so I moved it back into a more shaded spot and it promptly went green with not much contrast in the pattern. Haven't worked out my plan of attack yet for the pups when they come off, but I'd be really interested in what sort of lighting people find best. Cheers, Paul

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 10:12PM
splinter1804

Hi Paul,
Mine is growing in an old converted fern house under the original 50% black shade cloth roof which is about 30 years old. It's hanging about 2' down from the shade cloth and facing north.

The east, west and north walls are all 50% green shade cloth.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 12:21AM
bromaloonie

I thought I would post a pic of my Amazing grace. i took it this morning

This one recieves the 70% cream shadlecloth with extra cover during summer.

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 4:04AM
paul_t23(Coastal Sydney)

Thanks Nev and Germaine, that gives me something to aim at. Germaine they're lovely plants as always and every leaftip perfect - my Nirvana! Cheers, Paul

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 5:27AM
sunshine_qld

Paul sometimes I plant extra plants that get full sun till after midday. The mother often burns but the pups are sun tolerant. If you get a few pups try your 30% shade with one of them.

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 7:16AM
gonzer_gw

Thanks folks. A varied plant indeed!

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 7:34AM
hotdiggetydam

couple more pups

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 9:41AM
bromaloonie

Thanks Paul:)

Hey there sunshine qld! Did you recieve my email?

HDD I love that very red striped one and the red and white spotty brom near the AG

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 5:34PM
paul_t23(Coastal Sydney)

Hi sunshine, I do have a few pups to play with that should be big enough in spring, so I'll give that a go.

HDD, that red one is an absolute stunner. What fun when you get something like that coming through!

Cheers, Paul

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
ID this curly Bromeliad
Ready to put these in the ground. Forgot to ask the...
halfwaythere1
treated timber
So the time has come to rebuild my pergola where I...
Adam Harbeck
colour change + floppy plants
hi all, i was shocked to find that 2 of my plants had...
drmedusae
ID Please
Another one I lost the tag to,can you please help me...
gardencraze
Viresa question
Ok, so I have probalby already managed to kill a small...
cygnwulf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™