Carefree Amaryllis cultivation

brigarif KhanNovember 27, 2010

Hi,

I have resolved to;

Not to purchase any imported bulbs, as they are mislabeled and have a poor survival rate.

Very selective hybridization and seed exchange.

Breed them freely and do not bother about the mortality, let new faces replace the old ones.

Go for doubles, the singles will be there as collaterals.

Arif

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Dear Arif,
You are so wise. Your garden is so full of such beautiful Hippeastrum, and they thrive in the ground at your home. You have made many beautiful crosses and I know the coming years will bring many many more. So nice to be able to enjoy the blooms and the "hobby" without obsessing over it as so many of us do. I found the first few years I took maticulous notes over the crosses I made. Now I am not crossing many (but I note it when I do) and am waiting for my 2-3 year olds to bloom. If a label has faded to the point I can't read it, I just remark it with "?" and move on!

You could teach many of us lessons that it took you decades to learn. Sometimes we just need to enjoy the destination and not worry so much about the journey! Many of us would have difficulties adopting your approach, but you continue to amaze, delight, and surprise us with your lovely blooms. Please don't ever stop!
:-)
Kristi

Bookmark   November 27, 2010 at 12:20PM
Noni Morrison

I so agree with Kristie! And any time you post pics of your crosses it fills the day with their beauty and the dream that I might someday have my crosses surprising and delighting me like yours do. (It will still be awhile here since I had inadequate light and warmth the first years).

Bookmark   November 27, 2010 at 6:45PM
brigarif Khan

Hi,
Thank you my friends.
Every time I sow seeds I wonder if I will be there to see the result ? Well what if I am gone, there will be others who will admire and remember me for the gift. My problem for space is also solved. I have established a small hotel and a restaurant, where I have started to plant flowering trees, shrubs, bushes, vines and perennials in addition to annuals. Only selected bulbs will be kept at home, the rest will be shifted there every year.
THE PLACE

Within next few years I intend to make it one of the most attractive places in Lahore.
Arif

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 8:38AM
e36yellowm3(7 Raleigh, NC)

Arif, I like your resolutions... just in time for the new year. I agree that by following those you will take much of the stress out of growing. And I agree on the doubles. Good luck on your new endeavor - I'm sure with your talent for gardening it will be a great opportunity to share the beauty of your flowers with others. Sounds like a good business opportunity as well!

Alana

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 9:24AM
jackie_o(zone 5/6)

Arif I know you said no more imports, but do you have Dancing Queen? I got a great percentage of doubles using her pollen.

Congratulations on your new endeavor. I know it will be beautiful.

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 9:59AM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

But Kristi, it is the journey that brings the day to day joys in life with each one being a mini-destination in an of itself....you may never make it to the destination as you first imagined it, but if the trip was worthwhile then it doesn't really matter as you enjoyed the path that you took :o) Dan

Arif, that sounds like a wonderful place and I am sure your landscaping will be wonderful!!

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 10:13AM
e36yellowm3(7 Raleigh, NC)

Nice sentiment Dan - that's one to remember :-)

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 8:02PM
brigarif Khan

Jackie,
Yes.
My doubles.

Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
I'm beginning to figure out the code to ordering the bulbs I want
Ok, I'm starting to figure out the code to ordering...
jstropic
Worsleya seeds
If anyone is interested, someone is offering worsleya...
rredbbeard
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Help Me Grow A Worsleya
Hello. I'm a avid collector of amaryllis bulbs. I heard...
robnelms
Planting Papilio in the ground
I live about 20 miles north of New Orleans in zone...
John Lusk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™