No pineapple fruit!

Will07(5)March 6, 2013

This pineapple is 2 years and 3 months old and is still not producing! any tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunshine_qld

My 2 red pineapples flowered this year. They would have been about that age too. It will happen.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 7:20AM
tropicbreezent

They need warmth. They take about 18 months to flower, if it's cold they could take any amount longer depending on just how cold. And being in direct sunlight also helps. Fertilising with a weak solution of seaweed or fish based fertilisers is also good.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 8:16PM
Will07(5)

its in a greenhouse, though it is fairly cool in the winter but very very hot and humid in the summer and in direct sun all year. I feed it the water soluble fertilizer but i will try the seaweed or fish base

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 11:59PM
tropicbreezent

They normally flower and fruit in the winter so if the temps are extra cool then it could be hampering it. Remember to keep the fertiliser weak, it's the temperature that's your main issue. Another thing that comes to mind, they like acid conditions in the soil rather than alkaline, try to maintain low pH. My best pineapples (fruit) that I grew were in soil with a pH of 5.3

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 7:02AM
sunshine_qld

In Qld they are grown in full sun. Now would be a good time to acclimatise as your weather gets warmer.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 2:19AM
More Discussions
Viresa question
Ok, so I have probalby already managed to kill a small...
cygnwulf
Thoughts on my tillandsia gardeneri?
When I bought y T. gardeneri in May last year it looked...
Iris Lau
hotdiggetydam
id help- tillandsia exserta hybrid?
I traded a friend of mine for this.Its original tag...
Brian311
Problems with scale
Members, Indiana grower here. I have a major problem...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™